Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High crests
Quote:My first thought on looking at that was the snakes are symbolic of Athens.....???
The eages of Zeus are flying with the Spartan....for victory...
regards
Arthes

No Cristina.
Snakes were symbolic of of Gaea (Earth) later Hera.
The also denoted the indigenous populations groups.
The Gorgonion on his shield marks this guy as a protege of Athena.
Possibly it comemorates the establishment of the Doreans (Herakledes folowers of Athena) of central Greece on the inhabitants od Southern Greece
(Aeoleans folowers of Hera) in the Geometric period. Spartans at the time have the militaty stracture of the Ovae not Morae so the shiled emblem possibly is not mora of Chakeoikos Athena.
Kind regards
Thank you Stefanos....!
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
So, my dear Stefane, these fine illustrations of the Greek illustrator Nigdiopoulos, are a bit inaccurated? (Even the Spartan Hoplite?)

Please, tell me!

Regards...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
Illustrations :?:
What are you refering to :?:
Quote:Illustrations :?:
What are you refering to :?:

About that post:

Quote: Comerus Gallus Romus' (#12 post)

Comerus Gallus Romus
Posted: Sun 26 Feb 2006, 0:55

Regards.
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
I think it is Gianopoulos and not Nigdiopoulos.
If the image shows a Lakonian file leader then it is not necessarily wrong.
Kind regards
Greetings Stefane... nice you came back.

You may right about the artist's name; I don't really can be sure...

About now that illustration, the artist wrote... "an example of a Royal-bodyguard, "Heppeis", one of the '300' in Thermopylae".
He doesn't says if he is a file-leader of a simple file hoplite...

And about the Thespian??? You wrote somewere, that this... black outfit is not accurated... In THIS illustration, does that Thespian is accurated or not, friend?

Regards.
aka Romilos

"
The Thespian is just plausible.

Kind regards
Quote:
Gaius Decius Aquilius:1t4h7z7s Wrote:
hoplite14gr:1t4h7z7s Wrote:An intersting example of a high crest socket from the British Meuseum.

Have you seen this? Is there any more detail on the construction, the find site and time frame?

Thanks

Ralph Izard

Yes I was lucky enough to touch it during our visit in the British Meusum. It is 5th century B.C. and comes from a donation of a private individual. They are trying to catlogue it and log it based on a German comperhensive catalogue containing very comperhensive info.
Kind regards

Stephanos,

Glad to see you back... When you examind this piece, how was the crest holder attached? wth rivets, or solder, or could you tell...

This seems like the ideal modification to make to my Corthian for one of the high crests.

LYKAON of (somewhere yet to be decided)

otherwise:

Ralph Izard of New Mexico. (Which is in the USA for those of you from you from Amarillo.)
Stefanos & Comerus,
Any more photos of the re-enactors..? I really would like to see more of the Thracian and javeliner..!
Great pics..!
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Ralf, the bronze "box" on the helmet semmed welded somhow.
There were no pins no nails no rivets.
I will try to postt more photos.

Johhny sorry still trying to digitize the pelta photo.

Kind regards
Well, folks, I finally did the Melanochitonos kit with high-crested helmet. You can see it on the thread, "Show here your Greek warrior impression", although perhaps I should point out that, " I don't do impressions, my field is re-enactment. " Spot the misquotation.

Damn! I've even got a kopis, like the one in the illustration, and I forgot to use it in the pictures! Argh!