Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High crests
Ooops! Perhaps "Knock one up" doesn't translate very well into American! :oops: In English it means "Throw together" as in easy, doddle job.
Quote:I was thinking, why the early helmet & greaves was painted like iron by the artist?

Hi everyone. If I may add something. The greaves and helmet are not iron. According to the caption, the hoplite has simply blackened his armour. Wax and ash are still used as an antirust patina for iron, could he have used something similar?
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Gioi said he began to think they were probably tinned bronze, when he looked at examples of such armour.

Thinking of what Stefanos wrote, about the chiton being the only uniform item of their kit, it seems to me that the armour may not have been black or silver, but standard issue. Although black and silver is a very striking combination. :roll:

Then again, complete black would look more striking and, given the indications that armour may have been painted, I would suggest standard bronze armour, painted black. If they are equipped with linothorax, changing the colour is dead easy.

As a complete tart, I think I'd like black kit with touches of silver to set it off. :twisted:

Whether I'll be able to put together such a panoply is debatable - the price of black woollen cloth is outrageous! (Perhaps it's just as well...)
ooops, my mistake. The language barrier once more raised it's ugly head. Still, it's a great idea for a complete kit, methink, good sir, well worth the expence.

Asheto, Stefane pare kana thlefwno.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
WeLL I feel I will make a "Black Mercenary" with a Kerberous shield embelm and the the motto "OI MISTHOFOROI OY THNISKOSI ANASYGKROTONTAI TO ADI" - mercenaries dont die, they regroup in Hades!! :twisted: :twisted:
Painted armor can be speculated from pottery and Spyros protection recipy seems to be confirmed from the studies of armor pieces in German meuseums.
Kind regards
Already on top of it...

Black is IN! Got the chiton. You may want to try La Wren on that black wool. $65 for that tunic. Lambs wool at at that. Will have to do cest by myself. Black horsehair is available . Will get Manning Argos here shortly, I hope. Shield will be Boetian, black with white trim and some bronze half round edging I found. Going to go with the black wool and natural bronze look, with back paint and white trim on the painted parts.

And Paul, I think you will look absloutley stunning in a black and silver outfit. Knock one up...

Ralph Izard
Go Ralf!
Did you decided on the shield emblem?
Kind regards
Well, the crescent moon is kinda cool, and it should look balanced on a Boetian. I kinda wanted a bird or a bull like on the Chigi vase. Thats why I asked you for appropriate emblems.

Say, look... since we are all doing the black look here, does this make us some form of unofficial Thespian contingment? What would happened if we all showed up in Thespia next year or something? Like have the next Greek festival in Greece? Or would we all get thrown in the Adratic?

We could have it here in New Mexico... although most of the folks here never heard of Greece. "Pelupon nees zes? Creet? ... umm.. yea Bro! Those guys are in Santa Fe Medium Security, right? Got 5 to 10 for buglary? Phocias yea man! I know those hommies!"

Ralph Izard
Well I found linen thread 2 Euro per roll and silken thread 3.5 Euro per roll.
I bought fine linen cloth for 6 Euro per meter and found black 100 % wool cloth for 8 Euro per meter. If La Wren is not hand-woven they are ripping you off Ralf.
Kind regards
Quote:Well, the crescent moon is kinda cool, and it should look balanced on a Boetian. I kinda wanted a bird or a bull like on the Chigi vase. Thats why I asked you for appropriate emblems.

Say, look... since we are all doing the black look here, does this make us some form of unofficial Thespian contingment? What would happened if we all showed up in Thespia next year or something? Like have the next Greek festival in Greece? Or would we all get thrown in the Adratic?

Ralph Izard

Are you saying you would come to Greece? That would really be something!

Paul
I'm off to the Spring Re-enactors' Market today - I'll let you kinow what I find. There is usually very little specifically Greek stuff, but loads of cloth. I'll speak to my mate, Ali (well, he's more Sharon's friend, really, given the amount of time she spends at his stall...) maybe he'll do a stall at the Festival.

Paul
[/quote]

Are you saying you would come to Greece? That would really be something!

Paul[/quote]

I know a nursing student from the U who suggested she go with me and keep me sedated during the flight. Due to my specific vetran's status, I get free air travel on space available. I would gladly pay for her ticket.

How on earth can you get all that armour and swords through customs? Forget the spear.

Ralph Izard
I'm impressed, Ralph, you're a stout fellow. A friend of mine made a demountable spear, like a Pool cue - why not do the same? Nobody seems to mind swords in baggage that goes through as freight, they just don't like you having them in your carry-ons.

I've been to the market and I got some very fine black linen off Ali for £5 a metre. That's more than you paid, Stefanos, but I don't have to add postage! Smile He also said he can supply me with some heavyweight woollen cloth for the same price. I will take him up on that, and get myself a nice heavyweight cloak. Yum!

For anyone who can wait that long, Ali's firm will be represented at the Festival.

I really appreciate the motto of the mercenaries, Stefanos; do you mind if some members of the Hoplite Association use it? On second thought, maybe all we Melanochitonoi should use it, with a Cerberus blazon, and be the dogs of war. :oops: Couldn't resist it.

Paul
Oh Thespian!

Does your friend possess purple linen as well? I would like to buy some to make a new peplos. I also need to find someone who can provide me with fibulae!

Quote:they just don't like you having them in your carry-ons.

That is understandable considering the things that have happened in the past.
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Paul the mercenary emblem is like Linux -freeware!
Dog head with red eyes (Hekate's hound)-not Kerberus goes for the Thespians too.
Ralf if we have dates I can see what I can do with customs. (Possibly a lot.) Then we can organise some serious drinking.

Suggestion for heavy cloack: Try the Govenrment issue Army blanket.
It is thick felt. We got them dark brown in the Greek Army.
Typical rectangle to be held with a pin. Use boiled chestnut peels to blacken it for purists!
kind regards