Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High crests
Quote:Oh Thespian!

Does your friend possess purple linen as well? I would like to buy some to make a new peplos. I also need to find someone who can provide me with fibulae!

Purple?! Confusedhock: First, you want to play with the boys; now you want to come the Imperial Lady!

I'll mention it to him.

If anyone wants to get their black linen/wool or any other material while they're here, I'll let Ali know what's going to sell - that helps everyone.

As to fibulae, Susanne, Tim (the guy referred to on the site Gioi listed) will be there. Again, if anyone has any kit requirements, please let me know and I'll pass it on. Adam Stuart-Box made some nice pottery "canteens" for the Hoplite Association. If anyone would like one, I'll tell him.
Quote: Then we can organise some serious drinking.

Kind regards

Serious drinking?

I'm in. Lets say, summer 2008. Gives everybody enough time. This assumes a World War has not broken out, which it could, given what things are today.

We get all the Hoplites in the world in one place with no adult supervision and all the booze we can drink. Who could turn this down.

Ralph Izard
Well you gave me something to set my sight on.
This "without adult supervision" thing is a very good incentive.
Kind regards
Ali says he has MoD-quality wool in black - sounds like just the job.

Chaps on the Phalanx forum are trying to arrange a tour of the battlefields - also in 2008, some people here may be aware of that.
Maybe we could combine the two. They wouldn't count as adult supervision.

Paul
Quote: As to fibulae, Susanne, Tim (the guy referred to on the site Gioi listed) will be there.

Great! Aww, given that I actually buy a helmet of yours, I will pose in the 'Best Greek Goddess Impression' contest. Wink

Quote:We get all the Hoplites in the world in one place with no adult supervision and all the booze we can drink. Who could turn this down.

Quote:Chaps on the Phalanx forum are trying to arrange a tour of the battlefields - also in 2008, some people here may be aware of that.
Maybe we could combine the two. They wouldn't count as adult supervision.

I'm in! DEFINITELY! Big Grin Some of the spots I have always wanted to behold include those of Chaeroneia, Marathon, Thermopylae, Cynoscephalae, Leuktra, and Argos (seeing that I did a report on the Heraion I might as well check that out).
Where is the phalanx forum, by the way?
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
The Phalanx Forum is here.......
[url:3riyy7mj]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thephalanx/[/url]
(talking about the tour on there..... privet as in a prickly close packed barrier hedge which is rather a good description of a Phalanx......???????
and I thought I would have to wear a white peplos to be a lady.....!I mean instead of a male......oh, you know what I mean...
(I hope.... :lol: )
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
*Throbs her head into the wall*

I'd totally forgotten about that forum; I was lurking around in there a while back (three or so years), and haven't really checked it ever since, for unknown reasons.

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Thanks for the link Cristina!
Well being a Lady is not a problem. But you are a Mother...please try do not let this wake pu your "adult supervision" reflexes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I mean as Ralf suggested "hoplites just want to have fun" :wink: :wink: :wink:
Kind regards

Stefanos
Happy birthday Paul!!! Big Grin

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Yes, Gioi, that chap's beard is trimmed like mine, but his nose is a lot straighter and more pointed! It's an interesting picture - the greaves aren't the same colour as the linothorax and I wonder if this is meant to suggest that they are of iron. The helmet is painted black, as we've been thinking they might. I'm also struck by the fact that the pteryges are a different colour than the body armour, which might suggest they are quite separate from it. Do you know the date it's supposed to be from and where the illustrator got his evidence? I think that, given men's inclination to experiment, there was probably great variation in the way armour was made and decorated, so that we might justify a great many things on the simple basis that they were possible, but provenance is always nicer - especially if someone with a dangerous amount of knowledge starts telling you what's wrong with your kit!

Thanks, all for the birthday greetings. Fifty-three, not out!

Susanne, is that a formal entry? I have the Golden Apple all ready...

Cristina, it takes more than a white peplos to make a lady, as Achilles discovered! (Or possibly didn't as they wouldn't have been in fashion in his day - whatever. Am I bovvered?)
His cuirass seems to lack protection for the groin and therefore he's forced to put the (leather?) pteruges on separately. But this would probably deteriorate the flexibility that the linothorax with attached pteruges provides.

Quote:Susanne, is that a formal entry? I have the Golden Apple all ready...

Yes. Big Grin

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Happy Birthday Paul Big Grin

[Image: paul_birthday.jpg]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Only three candles? Wink

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

The correct amount wouldn't fit... :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:The correct amount wouldn't fit... :wink:

I love it with just the three, thanks! "I wish I was clever, like you, Brian..."