Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scythian Illustration
Greetings Susanne
Quote:
Quote:BTW: I just tryed to convinced this guy to make bussiness with me for this Scythian helm, but as you can see I didn't run with such luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... id=&sasel=

Shame on this guy and everyone else selling artefacts on eBay like this. It should be taken to the local museum for investigation! :?
I have just copied the pictures .....look at the winning bid...!
Yes, I just read that it came from a Romanian grave......what the hell is it doing on eBay, you don't know who is buying it or for what reason....or am I just jealous... :oops:
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Nice helmet, but isn't it Attic, rather than Corinthian? ( sticking my neck out again!)

It's certainly not Corinthian, you're right. I'd tend to call it Chalcidian rather than Attic, with Connolly and Dintsis in Hellenistische Helme, but of course there's no end-all typology... (yet :wink: )

Gioi, it seems like I'm always asking you about your pictures! Where does that plate with all the different helmets come from? Is that from Osprey or...?

The fact that it says it was found in a Scythian grave does make me uneasy. It doesn't say *when* it was found, or if it's been in a private collection for many years. But such things happen, and the problem is far larger than the iceberg-tip that shows up on Ebay.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:Gioi, it seems like I'm always asking you about your pictures! Where does that plate with all the different helmets come from? Is that from Osprey or...?

The fact that it says it was found in a Scythian grave does make me uneasy. It doesn't say *when* it was found, or if it's been in a private collection for many years. But such things happen, and the problem is far larger than the iceberg-tip that shows up on Ebay.

Oh! that plate of diferent helms is from osprey: The Scythians, get that one & the Thracians, they are good!... Also try to get the Catalog of Guttman of ancient armours for the Calcidian etc....

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scythian Illustration Johnny Shumate 24 5,162 12-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat