Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Wall Blues
Benjamin's Britten's long lost score to W H Auden's Roman Wall Blues has been found!:

Over the heather the wet wind blows, I've lice in my tunic and a cold in my nose.

WH Auden wrote his Roman Wall Blues, about a fed-up legionary on guard duty on the northern edge of the empire, for a radio documentary broadcast live from Newcastle in 1937. Benjamin Britten, then 24, wrote the music for the programme but his score disappeared.

Now, thanks to a chance conversation on the way to church, a copy of the programme's big number - Britten's setting of Auden's bluesy verse - has turned up at the Northumberland home of a 99-year-old former employee of the Bank of England. It will go on show during this year's Aldeburgh festival and may be performed next year in the Sage Gateshead concert hall to mark the 70th anniversary of the programme and the centenary of Auden's birth.

David Ward, Monday February 27, 2006, The Guardian. For complete story see: http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/sto ... 89,00.html

Auden's poem can be found at:

http://www.stephen.j.murray.btinternet.co.uk/auden.htm
Cool! I'm a fan of both Auden and Britten -- too bad we may have to wait a bit to hear it, though.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thank you madam.
Very borderer-like.
The only improvement is that we don´t get lice any more when not on campaign Tongue
But some things never change in the army!
Kind regards
Thanks Sandra! I have to agree with Stefanos, army life does not much change...
One of my favourite poems: 'He worships a fish'! Big Grin
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SPQR Blues Webcomic A_Volpe 20 5,381 05-06-2015, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Agricola