Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weapons of Gladiators
Hi all,
I have a query for you all-
Does anyone have any pictures or know of any examples of actual Gladiatorial (or what are thought to be might be a better way of putting it) Gladius's.

I have seen lots of information from various groups and individuals purporting the use of a unique arena blade with flaring blade, larger circular lower guard and smaller pommel, but wondered what this was based on?

I have looked at various mosaic's and sculptures, but most are a bit ambiguous, though some earlier republican period images/sculptures swords look more like the standard hispaniensis, but obviously there are several problems with this and wondered if anyone knew any better?

cheers
Adam
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin\'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghettoooooo...
(vocalist extrodinaire- Eric Cartman)
If anyone could even point me in the direction of some sculptures I might not have seen showing reasonably good blade/hilt depiction that would be great?
cheers all
Adam
In the ghettoooooo...
Adam

I have Googled variations of Gladiator ( Gladiatoren, Gladiateur, Gladiators, Gladiator's, Secutor, Mirmillo, Myrmillo, Murmillo, Thracian, Thraex, etc etc etc ) but have yet to find anything other than what I have seen in books ... that it appears that as you have deduced military swords were used initially and that at some point , probably Augustan in date special Gladiator swords appeared.

There are some paintings from Pompeii which purport to show hilts but these are early reproductions/copies and IIRC the originals are now long gone so it is hard to rely on them. Look for oil lamps as they sometimes depict arms only.

Have you got a copy of Das Spiel Mit dem Tod by Marcus Junkleman ? Its worth buying even if you cant read German as there are some interesting takes on later swords.

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Its definately on my 'to buy' list. How much could I pick up a copy for? I haven't seem one on ABE yet since I have been looking.

I think that I exactly what I am concluding- as it (the gladiator "thing")grows as a sport/spectacle then the equipment becomes much more removed from the military equivalents, and they evolve along seperate lines, specifically for the 1 on 1 arena combat scenario.

Suppose that probably sounds rather obvious and boring, but its trying to link it to the evidence.

Adam
In the ghettoooooo...
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3 ... 52-6101057

This link should get you there.

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Awesome. Cheers, I will be purchasing that as soon as possible. I have a friend who speaks German so she may be able to translate any bits I really need too!

Adam
In the ghettoooooo...
Quote:I have a friend who speaks German so she may be able to translate any bits I really need too

If need be drop me a PM and let tell me what you want to know, I'll translate it for you (I have the book) :-) )
Thanks Martin thats really kind, a karma is heading your way, I may take you up on that in the future. I also have a English/German/Norwegian Archaeological terminology dictionary which I bought in Oslo- A bizarre book, but incredible usefull for caption interpreting!

Adam
In the ghettoooooo...
In case Martin's not there or lacks time to translate I would help you, too since I also have that book.

Parts of Marcus Junkelmann's book also appear in an article in the catalog to the exhibition "Caesaren und Gladiatoren - Die Macht der Unterhaltung im antiken Rom". And this has been published even in English:

Eckart Köhne, Cornelia Ewigleben (editors), Gladiators and Caesars: The Power of Spectacle in Ancient Rome, University of California Press: Berkeley, 2000

From Pp. 31-74 you will find the Junkelmann article "Familia Gladiatoria: the heroes of the amphitheater". Of course it's only a very rough summary of his book but maybe it helps you already with your question.
cheers for the offer Gaia,
I have gladiators and caesars- its pretty much my bible at the moment!
For those of you who have a copy does Das Spiel Mit dem Tod have a lot of pictures of source material-original equipment/illustrations etc.

The gladiators and caesars book is great, but I need more!!!! As is always the way!

thanks
Adam
In the ghettoooooo...
Quote:For those of you who have a copy does Das Spiel Mit dem Tod have a lot of pictures of source material-original equipment/illustrations etc.

I guess it is pretty much the best catalog like collection of original items you can get at the moment, together with reconstructions. All the originals have been measured and weighed. A definite must have.
Salve Adam,

Quote:cheers for the offer Gaia,
I have gladiators and caesars- its pretty much my bible at the moment!
For those of you who have a copy does Das Spiel Mit dem Tod have a lot of pictures of source material-original equipment/illustrations etc.

The gladiators and caesars book is great, but I need more!!!! As is always the way!

thanks
Adam

Das Spiel mit dem Tod is my bible in all gladiator things. I can understand you that you need more, it's the same with me, too. The more you dig into a certain topic there more you wanna know. Big Grin
Oooooo- my copy of Das Spiel mit dem Tod arrived this morning courtesy of Martin! (you are a superstar- everyone give him Karma!)

Wow- I think I will start and learn German just so I can read it.

What a book! The pictures alone are worth twice the price!

Adam
In the ghettoooooo...