Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ritterling project
I got internet access in my new house, so it's about time the RA.com projects got kickstarted back into life.<br>
For the Ritterling project, I have received several texts that need proofreading. Anyone willing please contact me at JasperATromanarmy.com.<br>
Also, I believe there are several proofreaders who've had plenty of time to read by now. Could they please send at least a progress report, but preferably a fully read text? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Ha, good news, can´t wait to start translating again!<br>
<br>
BTW Jasper, my old mail-adres ( [email protected] ) has been deleted. I use "[email protected]" now. <p>Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the ark<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Hi Jeroen,<br>
I'll change it.<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I will also do some more jasper, just send them to me. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
Okay, thanks Matt! <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Jasper,<br>
<br>
legiones IIII Martia and IIII Parthica (smaller ones) are ready for proof-reading, IIII Scythica is in progress, but will need some time (my broken arm ...)<br>
<br>
Greets Uwe <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
Jasper,<br>
<br>
IIII Sorana ready for proof-reading, too; IIII Scythica still in progress ...<br>
<br>
Uwe <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
Avete omnes,<br>
<br>
I am just translating the text to legio VI Hispana. This legion is referred in one source as <em>'IIIIII His(pana)</em>' - instead of VI His(pana) with six (!) vertical lines. In German these vertical lines are called '<strong>Haste</strong>' in singular form, plural: 'Hasten'. Sounds a little bit like the latin word '<em>hasta</em>' for the Roman spear, BTW; I don't know if there is any connection ...<br>
<br>
So my question is: does anybody in the forum know the correct English word for the vertical line '<strong>Haste</strong>' - neither in the Internet translation tool 'Altavista - Babelfish' nor in my 'Langenscheidt translation-book' I found any reference for this word. As I want to translate as correct as possible - any suggestions?<br>
<br>
Uwe <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
Actually, I believe it's a direct borrowing of Latin <em>hasta</em>, and that's what's used in English - 'hasta'. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thank You, Danno<br>
<br>
so the plural form in English is '<strong>hastas</strong>'?<br>
<br>
Uwe <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
I've seen both 'hastas' and 'hastae'; personally, I think the latter is more elegant. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thank You again, Danno,<br>
<br>
I take 'hastae'. That is what makes this forum so attractive - asking for help and immediately getting a solution from a distant continent.<br>
<br>
Uwe<br>
<br>
PS: just a funny example how the internet translation tool sometimes works, when it does not know the Original word - I wanted to translate the German word 'Lustration' (from the latin '<em>lustratio</em>') - the tool divided the unknown word into the German words 'Lust' and 'Ration' and translated 'desire ration' ... <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uwebahr>Uwe Bahr</A> at: 6/17/04 8:05 am<br></i>
Greets - Uwe
Currently converting the Ritterling project to the new design and MySQL database, which will allow for online editing by translators, proofreaders and editors.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ritterling Jona Lendering 14 12,594 08-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Primus pilus (Radu Patras
  Ritterling Jona Lendering 13 5,745 06-07-2006, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr