Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contents of Asellina\'s caupona
Having gotten the inspiration for recreating the caupona of Asellina in Pompeii from to the image in Connolly's book, I've been looking for photos to back up his drawings for a while. One time, can't remember where, I found a B&W photo of the counter top as the excavation happened, I think in 1923 or so. IN that one the objects were on the counter where Connolly had drawn them, but I can't find that photo again. (someone must know where). In another B&W from that dig, the objects are removed. I asked the Pompeii staff if they knew where the objects had gone, and no one seemed to know. Quite coincidentally I found a computer of a museum display case that appears to have all the object in it: the terracotta rooster, the bronze water pan, the reclining fox, but it's the back side of the case.
Question: which museum is this? The Naples museum? And does anyone have a photo from the front of the case? I have asked Julia Passamonti if she could make reproductions for me, and she thinks she can, but a few more photos would help. Anyone been there and have pictures?
[Image: smallvetrinaasellina.jpg]
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a caupona or other structure for events richsc 19 3,007 02-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Last Post: richsc
  Publications on shipwrecks and their contents? Martin Moser 5 1,843 11-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Caupona construction Pegasus 6 1,745 02-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Last Post: richsc