Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
George Shipway, A Biography!
Ave!

Alan Fisk, one of our newer members, has very kindly sent me this article.

I've reproduced it in full here to tie in with the topic "Imperial Governor".

"[i]In October 2002, Imperial Governor, a novel about the Boudiccan revolt against the Romans in 61 A.D., was republished after being out of print for many years. (A review of Imperial Governor appeared in The Historical Novels Review, Issue 22, December 2002.)

For its author, George Shipway, becoming a historical novelist was a third career, which he started late, and which lasted for only a few years. In that relatively short time, though, he established himself as a noted and sometimes controversial writer.

He died in 1982, but his wife still lives in the cottage in Berkshire that they first moved into in 1949. She has given Solander invaluable help with this article.

George Shipway was born in 1908 in Allahabad, India, where his father was a publisher. In accordance with the custom of that time, George was sent to England at the age of eight to go to boarding school at Clifton.

After leaving school, he became a cadet at Sandhurst, the Army’s academy for future officers. Sandhurst trained cadets for both the British Army, and the Indian Army, which was the one for which George Shipway was destined. He used to claim in later life that the only reason he had joined the Army was so that he could play polo, which he would not have been able to afford to do as a civilian!

After Sandhurst, he was commissioned in 1928 into the 13th. Duke of Connaught’s Lancers, a cavalry regiment. He returned to India, where he married while he was posted at Jullundur.

In the ensuing years, the Shipways moved “all over Indiaâ€
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Ave!

Here is a picture of George Shipway scanned from the dust jacket of "Imperial Governor"

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

In my opening post I neglected to mention that Alan's article was entitled "The Cavalryman Rides Again: the historical novels of George Shipway"

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

In my opening post I also forgot to mention where it was first published.

First published in Solander, Vol 7 No 1, May 2003, pages 4-6. Many thanks to Alan Fisk for allowing me to reproduce the article in full.

George Shipway's life would make a first rate book, wouldn't you agree?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

I've attached a book cover image of George Shipway's first novel, "Imperial Governor", this is the paperback edition.

For more details about this book please see the topic "Imperial Governor".

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

Whilst googling the internet, seeking relevent data to present to you, I stumbled across this next piece. I have included both items so that it remains in context.

These are from the author Bernard Cornwell's own website.

"Q: Here's an assortment of questions and comments: I've been reading Bowman's 'Life and Letters on the Roman Frontier', about the written material recovered at Vindolanda. I realized that even if I remembered my Latin well enough to read it, I'd have no idea of the meaning, as I have no context for it. I remember reading here that you are "at home" in Anglo-Saxon, and wondered if you ever have similar difficulties. Maybe the highly ordered Roman society increases the amount of background knowledge that's required?

I finally got around to reading Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror", and was interested in her description of Joanna of Flanders. The similarities between the historical widow of Duke Jean IV and your Countess of Amorica are striking, particularly leading a town's defense in armour. Coincidence? Or was Joanna the inspiration for your Blackbird?

In response to Mike's comments posted 10 March, it isn't true that Ellis Peters was the only author to write fiction based on the civil war. George Shipway, for example, wrote an enjoyable novel (A Knight in Anarchy) based on Geoffrey de Mandeville. His "Paladin" and "Wolf Time" are page-turners about William Rufus and Henry. Unfortunately, Shipway is out of print, but I'm blessed with English in-laws with heavy bookshelves. And anyone who is interested in medieval history and enjoys Ellis Peters should read her 'Brothers of Gwynedd' quartet, writted under her real name. Thanks for reading (and writing)- looking forward to the next Saxon novel. Eric Sivers

A: I'm not familiar with the Vindolanda material, though I seem to remember reading about it - much of the trouble seems to be that when archaeologists dig up troves of ancient writings then, nine times out of ten, they turn out to be laundry lists or cryptic messages between merchants, whereas most of the Anglos Saxon material that survives was intended for publication (or at least for wide reading) and has received years of scholarly attention. Of course there are obscurities in it, but all my editions have notes. Doesn't Bowman offer help?

I read A Distant Mirror many years ago, so long that I'd entirely forgotten Joanna of Flanders. I'm not saying that she didn't inspire me, only that I wasn't conscious of it if she did!

I'm so glad you're encouraging us to read George Shipway! He's a marvellous novelist - I do know that Imperial Governor is in print, because I just re-read it - the publisher is Cassell Military Classics. I'm a huge Shipway fan and wish his other novels (especially Paladin and Wolf Time) were re-issued.
"

I found them here http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm

I've posted a message to Bernard, which he may or may not publish, directing his readers to the topic "Imperial Governor".

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

Here is another Googled item from the website of British author Bernard Cornwell. He is the author of the best selling "Sharpe" series of novels, amongst others.

"Q: I have always enjoyed your books, particularly as the places referred to where I was born & brought up (Essex & the Thames Estuary) & where I now live (Mid Devon). One question though, were you influenced in your writings by the novels of George Shipway? Richard Knightley

A: Probably yes, but a distant influence because I read them so long ago - but I thought them utterly brilliant and compelling, and I'm sure they served as a template for the sort of book I hoped to write. The only problem with Shipway was that he didn't write enough
!"

I found this item here http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index.cfm

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

You may have noticed that, since the re-publication of "Imperial Governor" in 2002, there is a renewed interest in George Shipway and his novels.

The two examples discovered and included above would support this contention.

This is a copy of an e-mail recently received.

"Jim Poulton, This is an automated message to let you know that we've received the contact us submission at http://www.bernardcornwell.net . I appreciate your comments and inquiries and I will try to respond as soon as possible. Please look for your message to be posted to the website either on the Bulletin Board page or under "Your Questions".
Regards,
Bernard Cornwell
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is the information you submitted.
Submission Date: 04/03/06

Name: Jim Poulton
Email: ########

Your Comments: Hi Bernard, Please excuse the informal approach but I feel that, through your books, I "know" you. Whilst not a fan I do admire your books. I do hope that this next piece will not be considered to be spam, so here goes. I noticed a mention of George Shipway in your Q & A section so I hope that which follows will be of interest. I'm a recent member of RomanArmyTalk and have initiated a topic in praise of George Shipway's "Imperial Governor" you can read my efforts here. http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=7148 You will also find perhaps the most complete biography of George Shipway ever written amongst many other topics. Thank you for reading this and please continue to thrill us with your writing. Regards Jim Poulton

Thanks for your comments
"

So far my message has not been posted.

***UPDATE****

My e-mail was published by Bernard Cornwell on page 2 of his Bulletin Board on the 7th April 2006.

***UPDATE***

I don't claim to be a word-smith. I feel that my words were inadequate and it could be an opportunity missed to publicize RomanArmyTalk and George Shipway.

I therefore urge those of you who are far more erudite than I to "pick up the baton". Write to Bernard Corwell, in your own words, that which I have attempted.

Thank you.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

George Shipway's second book was "Knight in Anarchy" which was first published by Peter Davies Ltd. in 1969.

On my bookshelves is the third edition reprinted in 1973 by Mayflower Books of St Albans, in paperback, ISBN 583-11845-3, back then it cost GBP 0.60.

This from the back cover:-

"ANARCHY!

His father murdered, his estate seized, he himself mutilated - the plight of Humphrey Visdelou, a young Norman knight, was not unfamiliar in the chaos of twelfth-century England following the death of Henry I.

Two factors inspired Humphrey's struggle for survival: his love for a beautiful English girl and his allegiance to Geoffrey de Mandeville - the powerful, ruthless baron, in whom chivalry and cruelty seem inseperable.
"

There follows a pair of reviews.

"The imaginative realism which distinguished George Shipway's Imperial Governor is powerfully in evidence ....Here is a historical novelist who sweeps away the fustian ... and gives us action and dialogue sharp and immediate in their impact." The Scotsman

"A strong story and a well-defined hero ... a pungent narrative of king-making and soul-making." The Observer

Here are two more from the first page inside the book.

"The author gives a realistic picture of the savage fighting, ruthless plundering, rape, and torture that made up the background of the constant wars that crippled the country and decimated the population. A stirring novel of convincing detail about the period." Current Literature

"Gripping novel, with no horrors spared." Daily Mail

A search in http://used.addall.com/ brought back 56 examples of "Knight in Anarchy".

An image of the paperback copy of the book is attached.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

George Shipway's third novel was a departure from his two previous books. Not only was it not historical but was, at the time of writing, topical.

Britain was racked by strikes, three day weeks and economic chaos. George Shipway's novel suggested controversial and radical solutions, assassination of the ring leaders.

George Shipway's "The Chilian Club" was first published by Peter Davies Ltd. in 1971. It was then published in paperback by Mayflower in 1972, reprinted in 1973 and 1977, ISBN 583-12062-8.

This is from the back cover of the book.

"WITH A BRASS-HAT BRIGADE LIKE THIS NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE MIGHT OF THE RIGHT!

Unions under extremist control...Food rationed...Communications disrupted...Race riots....Commerce at a standstill - The Chilian Club's answer is ASSASSINATION
!"

A review.

"For anyone who wishes a company of Gurkas would be deployed on riot-control in Trafalgar Square, The Chilian Club will be the thriller of the year" Tom Pocock EVENING STANDARD

Another

"An astonishing novel of high purpose by touches of rare comedy". Evening News

Another found at Amazon.com

"Yes!, July 15, 1999
Reviewer: A reader
A splendid, rollicking story of treason-bashing. The end is a bit over the top but the rest will have you cheering the heroes on. The drowning of the left-wing bishop was particularly satisfying, best thing since the investigative journalist was drowned in a toilet in Larry Niven's "Footfall"!
"

I found this next piece here http://www.trashfiction.co.uk/chilian_club.html

"In 1849 the 6th Hussars disgraced themselves in a minor battle at Chilianwala in India. Under the command of Viscount Cardross, they fled the front line, and never recovered their honour. Back in London, the officers of the regiment found themselves shunned by polite society and ostracized in their clubs. In despair, Cardross finally made his own London house available as a club to accommodate those who could find no berth elsewhere.

By the 1970s there were very few members left of what had become known as the Chilian Club. But the few who remained were unanimous in their conviction that Britain was fast finding its way to Hell in a handcart. And they were quite clear who was responsible - blacks, trade unionists, the usual roll-call of suspects... all funded by Moscow, of course, and all determined to destroy everything that is great about Britain. And meanwhile the Establishment was standing by, either unable or unwilling to do anything to fight the enemy within.

So the members of the Chilian Club take the law into their own hands, and start assassinating those they consider to be Britain's enemies...

It flags in places, but mostly The Chilian Club is grand entertainment. In a Blairite world, its paranoid fear of communists is sufficiently quaint to be harmless, and its sense of panic about the degeneration of Britain makes it an interesting period piece.

According to the brief biog at the front, George Shipway 'was born in 1908 and lived in Imperial India until 1919, serving until 1946 in the Indian Cavalry.' It also claims of this book that:

As in all the Shipway stories, a move is made forward to a new direction from an apparent move back to an established one. This is already one of the most talked-about books of recent times; its paperback publication can only increase an extraordinary reputation.

That alleged 'extraordinary reputation' has faded somewhat but many of Mr Shipway's other books remain popular in some quarters. His best-known works are historical novels set in Roman Britain (Imperial Governor), Medieval times (Knight In Anarchy) and the Trojan Wars (Warrior in Bronze), and I feel I ought to add a caveat here. I haven't read any of these books, so I don't know how dodgy they are, but all three of them turn up on the National Front's website on their Recommended Reading list under the section headed Aryan Fiction. This may sound worse than it actually is, however, since the same section also includes Aldous Huxley, Arthur Koestler and Jack London, none of whom would have been happy to be mentioned in such a context. I only mention it because you might want to bear it in mind should you ever read this book.
"

A search at http://used.addall.com brought back 16 examples.

The cover image of my copy of the 1977 paperback edition is attached.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

This is another item transferred from "Imperial Governor". It should, perhaps, have been the lead post for this thread.

"From: Alan Fisk <alanfisk@...>
Date: Tue Sep 3, 2002 1:44 pm
Subject: George Shipway

I've just discovered that George Shipway's excellent novel "Imperial Governor" is to be reissued next month. See:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/ ... 04363243/2 \\02-9064700-0599852

I'd really like to write a profile of him, but I'm having great difficulty getting any research leads. I know that he was a cavalry office in the Indian Army, and then a schoolmaster, and that he was encouraged to write by his friend John Masters. If he is still alive he will be 92 by now.

Does anyone know where I can find more about him? I hope that more of his books will be revived.

Alan
"

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  G. Shipway\'s "Imperial Governor" richsc 7 2,324 03-31-2006, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Jeroen Pelgrom