Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Movies Set in Rome
Robert,
Mmmmh, there was no Western or Eastern Roman Empire yet during Commodus' reign... :wink:
See you on Saturday! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:Robert,
Mmmmh, there was no Western or Eastern Roman Empire yet during Commodus' reign... :wink:
So, when did the 'Empire' actually fall during Commodus' reign? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave all,

Does anyone else posses Harry Whittington's novel "The Fall of the Roman Empire", Gold Medal, 1964, price 3 shillings and 6 pence?

The front cover is the Forum scene and the back is a poster from Samuel Bronston's film of the same name.

This 234 page novel is based on the screen play of the film. It has been sitting on my bookshelf for many years and has never been read, by me.

Who knows, perhaps one day I'll actually take some time off from writing in this Forum, sit down and have a good old read.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Quote:Does anyone else posses Harry Whittington's novel "The Fall of the Roman Empire", Gold Medal, 1964, price 3 shillings and 6 pence?

That must be like owning a rare manuscript!! I will double your money and offer you 7 shillings for it! :lol:

Graham
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:
Quote:Does anyone else posses Harry Whittington's novel "The Fall of the Roman Empire", Gold Medal, 1964, price 3 shillings and 6 pence?
That must be like owning a rare manuscript!! I will double your money and offer you 7 shillings for it! :lol:
Graham

Ave Graham,

Seven bob? I feel pretty sure you can do better than that, just kidding.

A search for the book via http://used.addall.com brought back 107 examples ranging in price from GBP 0.60 to GBP 357.69.

So I guess it's not all that rare? I also guess from your comment that you don't own a copy, yet?

I've noticed that FOTRE still seems to be one of the most popular films with a Roman theme.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Thanks for the explanation!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Most disappointed that no one has mentioned "Carry on Cleo" with Kenneth Williams definitive portrayal of Julius Caesar....
Steve
I saw Satyricon a while back and was amazed at how they for once made a Roman flick in Italian! Smile
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Avete,

Here's a 10 minute documentary on the Making of Fall of the Roman Empire, narrated by James Mason.

It shows how the Roman Forum set was constructed just outside of Madrid. It's indisputably the best set of Rome ever created.

And 10,000 extras were used to film the battle between the Persians and Romans - you can see the cataphracts close up in the documentary :!: Big Grin

Enjoy ...

~Theo
Jaime
Hello Jaime

Thanks for that, Laudes awarded!

I do not think the scene with Roman soldiers throwing rocks at the Persians made the final cut. Amazing what turns up. I recently bought a large format booklet on the film with pull out pages.

It is about time a proper restored version was released on DVD my copy is a very washed out print with no extras other than a trailer for Gladiator! This film desrves a better fate.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I read Marcus Junkelmann's book "Hollywoods Traum von Rom" (Hollywoods Dream about Rome) in which he points out the various mistakes in those epic films, sometimes in a very humerous way, I still like those films.

Gladiator will still be one of my all-time favorites, although I regret that they don't show authentic gladiator gear, there would have been much more to see of Russel Crowe just wearing a subligaculum Tongue Actually this was the film which revived my interest in Ancient Rome and since then I read tons about Rome until in the end I ended up with gladiator reenactment.

The Fall of the Roman Empire is also one of my favorite and of course Quo Vadis with Peter Ustinov as Nero. Unfortunately the latter one is not available on DVD yet :-( (
Quote:When I watch these movies I watch them as fantasy with a Roman flare, so I do not get upset with the inaccuracies.

When I learned to watch movies as they were meant to be as entertainment I started to enjoy them more. Most of us history nerds tend to pick appart movies and ruin them for ourselves.

Hell in Gladiator I wanted them to make the black guy Emperor! :wink:

I'm 100% with you!!!...

learn that Gaius aka Angel Baron :twisted:
=================================================

Well my collection still encreasing more, even after that 50 pack of 50's/ 60's movies, plus the resents...

I think Rome HBO, is great, but too sexual...you know my kids :roll:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
is the sound preceding the last battle scene, the jiggle of the legionnaire aprons as the Romans march down the hill towards the slave army.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Quote:Avete,

Here's a 10 minute documentary on the Making of Fall of the Roman Empire, narrated by James Mason.

It shows how the Roman Forum set was constructed just outside of Madrid. It's indisputably the best set of Rome ever created.

And 10,000 extras were used to film the battle between the Persians and Romans - you can see the cataphracts close up in the documentary :!: Big Grin

Enjoy ...

~Theo

Very enjoyable Theo :wink: ... I'm unable to see my VHS movie since my two VCR eat the movies.. I like to see these behind scenes... Cleopatra's scenario was used on some resent movie...

Is this Roman frorum replica still exist today as it was in those days in Madrid? if so, its a turist place?

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I tried to locate the FOTRE set years ago and it's gone. I saw some old pieces of plaster on the ground that seemed to indicate I was at the right place, too. Near a small town called Las Matas, if I remember correctly. Would be cool to still see it. By the way, some of the set was later used for "Funny thing happened on the way to the Forum".
Aka
Christoph