Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Searching for roman ship pictures
Hi all!
I'm looking for pictures of roman ships (reliefs, paitings, mosaics etc.), same needed for my roman trireme model to achieve best possible historical accuracy. Can anybody help me?

link from old RAT
Martin
Well, my own site of images is not yet back online :oops: but there's an excellent gallery here:
http://www.romaeterna.org/galleria/index.html
It's in Italian, but as you're looking for pictures that shouldn't be too much trouble. Smile 'Sala' is gallery, and there are six of them. The six Gruppi are links to images on other sites.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Hi Martin!

Do you have the book "Warfare in the Classical World" by John Warry (the illustrated version)? In that book there are several quite good colour illustrations of roman & greek warships...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Well, my own site of images is not yet back online Embarassed but there's an excellent gallery here:
http://www.romaeterna.org/galleria/index.html
It's in Italian, but as you're looking for pictures that shouldn't be too much trouble. Smile 'Sala' is gallery, and there are six of them. The six Gruppi are links to images on other sites.

Thanks for tip.

Quote:Do you have the book "Warfare in the Classical World" by John Warry (the illustrated version)? In that book there are several quite good colour illustrations of roman & greek warships...

Yes, I have this book. Illustrations are good, but I want more details.
Martin
Any suggestions for tower paiting?
Martin
Martin,

sorry, have been away for a while. For allegedly 'all' images of Roman Ships (its not entirely complete, but one of the most comprehensive collections) go to

http://www1.rgzm.de/Navis2/home/frames.htm

There's also a good book on ship depictions, if you can get it, which is:

Pekáry, I.
Repertorium der Hellenistischen und Römischen Schiffsdarstellungen. Boreas, Münstersche Beiträge zur Archäologie, Beiheft 8 (Münster 1999)

Good articles to look at on the problematics of Iconography are.

Tilley, A.F. & Fenwick, V.H. 1980 Ours is to reason why: The iconography of ancient ships IJNA 9.2 151-172

Tilley, A. 2000 The Iconography of Ancient Ship in: The Sea in Antiquity, BAR Int. 899 117-125 Oxford Archaeopress

Williams, H. 2002 Ship representations on ancient lamps in: Tropis VII 857-866

Hope this helps!
C.
Christoph Rummel
Quote:Tilley, A. 2000 The Iconography of Ancient Ship
Is Tilley that guy who has a very 'interesting' idea about the division of rowers? Such an article is in that BAR, I know that.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
'Interesting'? Yes - he comes up with a hairbrained scheme that there were three people side by side in a trireme, the middle guy either sculling two oars (????!!!!!) or there being alternate middle guys to the right and left, i.e. two regular outer rows of rowers, and one down the middle with oars going left-right-left-right etc as you look down the ship...

Quite a nice article to show how little we know what was going on (but the entire oar debate probably belongs somewhere else ;-) )
Christoph Rummel
Quote:Interesting'? Yes - he comes up with a hairbrained scheme that there were three people side by side in a trireme, the middle guy either sculling two oars (????!!!!!) or there being alternate middle guys to the right and left, i.e. two regular outer rows of rowers, and one down the middle with oars going left-right-left-right etc as you look down the ship...

Thanks your. I have not read Tilley but problems on rowing are well explained in the Conway's THE AGE OF GALLEY and practically tested in the Greek trireme reconstruction. I suppose Tilley is wrong in this case.

Many thanks for your recommended books and link.
Martin
It will be fine to start new topic on the navy theme in the future.
Martin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman-era ship found off Italian coast Justin I 2 950 08-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat