Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corinthian helmet without nasal?
Hello to all our Hellenic friends!

At Freeman & Sear (the company where I work), we just received a very nice Corinthian helmet which appears to be completely unrestored, with its original patina. It appears to be an early-middle Corinthian type, with the classic shape and eye-cutouts. But there is no nasal. I at first thought it must have been broken off, but the location between the eyes shows no signs of breakage or of a ragged edge. The area had also been patinated over. It is possible that the break occurred in antiquity and had been filed down, or that the nasal was deliberately removed. There are two small holes just above this central area on the forehead which could possibly indicate attachment of a replacement nasal; however, they could also have been used to secure a crest (there are two similar holes at the nape of the neck, and two widely spaced holes at the crown, on either side of where the crest box would have gone). I'm just wondering if there are any other examples of Corinthian helmets in museums and private collections that lack the nasal piece. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post pictures when I get some made.
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
They are subclassed as "Cretan" because most of them were found in Crete.
One example is in the Herakeion Museum and another in the Museum of New York. Most of them Are dated as Archaic period
Kind regards
Quote:There are two small holes just above this central area on the forehead which could possibly indicate attachment of a replacement nasal
I'd have to see it to say with more certainty, but I know there are definitely Corinthian-type helmets from Italy with nasals attached separately. I'll see if I can get some pictures for you.

Quote:They are subclassed as "Cretan" because most of them were found in Crete.
Again, the examples I'm familiar with are Italian.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thanks for adding info Dan.
That means that they are not so geographically isolated as thought originally.
Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for a new Greek Corinthian helmet, any ideas? Achilleion 2 1,906 01-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Achilleion
  The corinthian helmet on horseback? Steakslim 5 2,025 12-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Modifying a Depeeka Corinthian Helmet Tim Mathews 11 5,137 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius