Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you like least about RAT?
Almost three years ago, Jenny Cline started Romanarmy.com & romanarmytalk as communal projects: they were supposed to bring Roman army enthusiasts together and create a website with an enormous amount of knowledge on the subject.<br>
I'd say it's about time we took stock and learnt from the experiences and opinions of the hundreds of members on RAT.<br>
So, in this thread, what do you like least about RAT and how would you like to see it changed? So let's hear it! <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I like almost everything about RAT, but as in all things, there are some things that I don't like as much as others. Even though at first I didn't like the absence of political and current events discussion, I realized why it is not there. During some more recent topics, there have been references to the Catholic church which, even though I am not catholic and at times do not have a strong opinion towards that institution, the opinion of the catholic church should be avoided, the topic was not closed, as the worst kind of argument is a religious one. Other than that, I could not list any more complaints about the site, it works very well with the amount of people that are active on it, and since my joining in the Spring, it has gained at least 200 people. <p>O xein angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi -<br>
<br>
Simonides</p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
EZboard. You can't archive the thing. You may remember all of Sander's extensive posts that disappeared into the ether. That was bordering on criminal on Ezboard's part.<br>
<br>
<p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
The ability to post anonymously (aliases don't count).<br>
<br>
Bill Altimari <p></p><i></i>
Ah... Good point. That would be hard to change at this point. Perhaps if we ever move RAT to our own server... <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
The inability to create a permanent imagebase. <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
You mean we need permanent storage for pictures? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Yes, I feel it's an advantage that Yahoo-forums have. We need an imagebase for pictures used in the individual posts. It often happens to me that I want to have another look at some pictures, but then I can't find that particular post again. That's mostly due to the changes in tread subject. <p>Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]fectienses seniores[/url]</p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
AFAIK, that can only be solved by founding a new RAT, which is Ezboard independent. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
You could open an additional yahoogroup RATpictures, and keep RAT while allowing people to store photos at the yahoogroup....<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
of course you might get pictures of rats.... <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, </p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
That's a stop-gap solution. It'd prolly be best to have a Yabb board on our own server. No more disappearing threads either! <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
The black background on the forum here is a bit hard on my eyes. <p></p><i></i>
I don't like that fact that I can't seem to figure out how to change the time from GMT to my time zone---subtracting 7 hours to figure out what's really new is a bit "challenging" around 1 am <p></p><i></i>