Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birrus/Byrrus
I realise that SCA-sites do not count as primary sources, but I found a reference to a provincial Roman garment called the birrus or byrrus here

http://www.housebarra.com/EP/ep02/19byrrus.html

and I am wondering what to make of their interpretation. Unfortunately, the literature quoted in support is not currently available to me. Has anyone come across depictions like these? Is a 'sleeved cape' at all credible for the provinces?` It sounds awfully medieval to me, but if there is evidence for it, I'd like to make one.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
You mean like these from Housesteads?
[Image: romangods.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I can't quite make it out. Do they have sleeves or armholes? Definitely fascinating, thanks! Just what I need.

Volker Bach
Quote:3000 denarii
Confusedhock:

judging from their pricing I would say they dont know what is going on!!!
so the cheapest was 10 years pay for most people?? :lol:

anyway, I wouldnt doubt something like this existing, I would however get a better source, and do your own research. garments like this do show up from the dark ages onwards I know for a fact. Let me know what your research comes up with.
aka., John Shook
Quote:
Quote:3000 denarii
Confusedhock:

judging from their pricing I would say they dont know what is going on!!!
so the cheapest was 10 years pay for most people?? :lol:

anyway, I wouldnt doubt something like this existing, I would however get a better source, and do your own research. garments like this do show up from the dark ages onwards I know for a fact. Let me know what your research comes up with.

The 3000 denarii are from the Edict of Diocletian, so they reference late third century currency. A day's wages at the time was between 20 and 50 denarii, so we are talking a significant chunk of change, but not a fortune.

I am certainly doubtful about the pattern (it does not fit the way Greco-Roman clothing is constructed), but I could see it coming from the North European tradition. But I would have to find depictions. Interpreting these things is hard - this could as easily be a misreading of a Gallic coat with a paenula or hood, like the Neumagen horseman, where the dividing line became weathered.

Volker Bach
okay, so it is a later roman thing, I thought it was supposed to be 1st century. In the late 3rd-early 4th the price seems very fitting.
aka., John Shook