Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batavian shield emblem
Is the design an early fore runner of the medieval fleur de lys ?

I can't help noticing a similarity, and early fleur de lys type emblems representing the lily (or some say it is actually a type of iris, not a lily) have had deep significance for many cultures going back thousands of years, but especially around Western and Central Europe.

Does anyone know if there is a connection or significance- or am I just seeing things :?
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Are you referring to the shield blazon depicted in the illustration in the past Batavian article in Ancient Warfare magazine? I don't believe that design is specifically tied to the Batavians. It is just one of the many shield emblems carried by the auxiliaries on Trajan's Column. To my eyes the design appears to be an representation of a palm branch—a general symbol of victory in the Mediterranean world.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
That's the one I meant,

I wasn't sure if it was unique to the Batavians, or if it was generally one used by various auxillaries. I wondered if it was connected to Gauls, as the fleur de lys has a strong history in Gaul.So it may be a palm leaf after all.

Thankyou for your reply, Andrew Smile

Cheers

Jo
Friends of Letocetum
At the risk of seeming pedantic, the design you refer to has no known connection to the Batavians; as Peroni has mentioned on another thread, it was chosen more or less at random. Co-incidently, it also appeared coloured gold on a green background as an 'auxiliary design' in Peter Connolly's books.......
Sorry .......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Thanks Paul Smile
Friends of Letocetum