Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary college
<br>
Just wondering, would you have liked to attend a roman legionary "modern" college?<br>
<br>
Could, just one year of it (not fanatically), be an useful thing to build character of young people and teach them to learn no-modern technology living too?<br>
<br>
So, just not a military academy, but a mind restoring experience: maybe a little bit hard but human and without excesses. Don't you think it can help them to appreciate the present "confort" without forgetting the basic activities a man has to know, like, for example, making themselves useful objects instead of just buying them or defending himself without a gun...<br>
<br>
Suggestions:<br>
<br>
1) the building: a reconstructed roman fort (like Saalburg, for example)<br>
<br>
2) the " iron uniform" (eh, eh, eh, you know about "uniforms"...<br>
<br>
3) the drill (you know it too<br>
<br>
4) the classic studies<br>
<br>
5) the language (Latin of course, and maybe a little bit of Greek)<br>
<br>
6) sports (first cavalry sports, you know them too<br>
<br>
7) the work (handicraft: wood, leather and metal. Building construction)<br>
<br>
EM the clubs (centuriae or cohortes)<br>
<br>
9) the strategy and tactics<br>
<br>
10) the fight (intended like martial art)<br>
<br>
11) the spirituality (religions, myths, traditions)<br>
<br>
12) the laws<br>
<br>
<br>
Improve this list if you like...<br>
<br>
Ualete,<br>
Titus Sabatinus aquilius<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Just some thoughts........<br>
<br>
11) which spirituality? Who decides which "religions" are being promoted? ODE EM<br>
<br>
Where would you get certified instructors?<br>
What about liability for the "college" and instructors?<br>
<br>
What about just doing this on weekends, to supplement a "traditional" education?<br>
<br>
Are you wanting to work with "youth at risk" or "paying customers" or do you want to work in rehabilitating juvenile offenders?<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I doubt that would go over well in the US. I mean teaching children to fight; how awful then they might actually be able to defend themselves we wouldn't want that. Worse yet they may learn responsibility and actually act liek adults. Remember its duck and cover then run<br>
<br>
naso <p></p><i></i>
Hmmm....I personally don't see anything wrong with teaching youth fighting techniques and whatnot...there are enough "martial arts" schools making plenty of money not to mention the various military sponsored youth groups (namely Sea Cadets, Young Marines, Civil Air Patrol, etc). Even some SCA groups are holding some youth training in the combat arts (My term, for lack of a better one)<br>
<br>
Why not something that has true history to it? <p>Marcus Bruttius Romulus<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio III Augusta</p><i></i>
USA never had problems teaching youth martial arts, just problems keeping whining liberals from trying to legislate away the constitutional freedoms of self defense. NRA, scouting, Civil Air Patrol, etc all provide the opportunity for martial arts training, and all have liability insurance.<br>
<br>
Of course, in some strange areas of the USA, you can't own various weapons (guns, crossbows, swords) without heavy local government regulation, but thank goodness that perversion hasn't been allowed to spread all over.<br>
<br>
There are some people that cry to the heavens when some child is shot, but they don't blink an eye when 100 children die as a result of drunk drivers auto accidents, or when 1,000 die from malnutrition. They like to do most of their political agitation at large banquets, where loads of food is thrown away, and lots of alcohol is consumed before they weave their sanctimonious way home. <br>
<br>
I understand that they were looking at regulating ownership of swords and other such items in the UK, and also in parts of Italy? Maybe it would be acceptable if we let the young people train with wooden weapons and shields?<br>
<br>
One of the common themes of dictatorships is the restriction of private ownership of weapons. The later Roman empire restricted ownership of weapons, and civilians were not allowed to carry weapons, which made the job of the military much more difficult.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
God, all this talk of teaching kids/teens makes me wonder how something like that would go over in Canada. You guys think you have problems there, regarding the status quo of children and combat/fighting, well let me tell ya, it is worse here.<br>
<br>
Try buying a gun in Canada, better be prepared to spend thousands in courses, and proper storage areas and containers, not to mention being scrutinzed by the government, which claims that legislating firearms keeps the guns out of the criminal's hands.<br>
<br>
Excuse me while I go vomit.<br>
<br>
On an on-topic side, If the legionarry school was set up in different levels (age groups), it could be a great success. <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
<br>
No religion would be promoted, I referred to a general study of the roman religions, just to know and possibly compare them. Could be useful promoting the study of the roman Mithology and legends to know the roman cultural background (after all that pushed us all to wear a lorica and re-enact). Anyway no religion proselitism attempts, of course.<br>
<br>
Instructors could be found among the re-enacters: it seems<br>
that good, well cultured and learned people don't lack in this sphere. Moreover there is a lot of skilled people for handicraft,<br>
fighting teaching and general education. Many of them are already experienced teachers, or skilled artisans, or military officers, or museums administrators, and a lot of other useful things...<br>
<br>
I think that week-ends or full time could be good at the same. It depends from the financial supporting.<br>
<br>
Youth at risk, yes, it could be great for them; even if I think<br>
they need of purposely specialized teachers, this could be organized anyway. And could be the "bad" boys can compete<br>
and get a better performance than the "good" colleagues: who knows?<br>
<br>
Ualete,<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
I would have actually enjoyed going to a legionary college. I was just venting my frustration about attitudes here about self defense. LIke in schools they have zero tolerance which makes no sense and if someone swings at you you're not allowed to defend yourself. They tell you to duck and cover and let the other kid pummel you until a teacher arrives. Also they no longer teach kids to be responsible for themselves or their actions so something like that would be good and we do have things like the boy scouts too. ANyway.<br>
<br>
Naso <p></p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
I'm very happy that the subject appeared on RAT as it gives me the opportunity to talk about something that exists, here in Italy:the "Federazione Ars Dimicandi" that is an entity promoted by university professors,archeologists, reenactors and experimental archeologists, such considered and supported by public authorities, and devoted to the roman culture. In particular it is divided in 3 sections, athletic, gladiators and military one. Each of the 3 sections will provide stages for those who whishes to learn the specific discipline. The Federazione count 150 people from Italy, France and Spain and is open to all of us who'd like to really train, as in may case, as legionarius. As the Federazione<br>
president of the military section I'll post an official and most detailed topic<br>
Vale<br>
Fabius Pictor <p></p><i></i>
Ciao Fabio<br>
è un po' che non ci sentiamo. Tutto bene?<br>
Fatti vivo che ci vediamo a Villa Dose! (se non prima) <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APU / AMU College Questions Timotheus 3 1,352 03-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Last Post: qcarr