Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
Hi,<br>
I'm Paul Allen, a professional re-enactor who does Roman as well as Greek Saxon, Viking and (if I'm paid enough) Norman. I also post on Greek Army Talk. I'm trying to develop a legend for my Roman Legionary character. I'm in the Ninth Hispana and I'm puzzling over names. Does anybody know any good ones? Can anyone tell me whether legionaries of the Ninth would have been likely to be of Hispano-Iberian stock in the 1st C AD?<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>
In the time of Julius Caesar it was called the "Macedonica". In the Battle of Filipos it was under the Command of Octavio & Mark Anthony against the Republicans. Later was used by Augustus Caesar showing great valor & courage in his Cantabric & Astures Campaign, thus given the Title "Hispania".<br>
Later it was transferred to Iliria and at the death of August in 14 AD it rebelled. But gained again recognition for it´s brave behavior in Africa against the Tacfarinas rebellion. It returned later to Iliria and during the reign of Cladius it was used in his invasion of Britain. Also, showed great bravery & courage there. It remained on the Isles and during Adrians reign it was comletely wiped out by a native uprising. There is no mentioned of Spanish Enlisted Troops. <p></p><i></i>
Stephen John McMahon
Thanks for the reply, Miles,<br>
All that info. is very helpful. Bang goes my outrageous Spanish accent...<br>
<br>
Do you think that the title "Macedonica" implies it was recruited in that area, or in Illyria? (Perhaps I can acquire an outrageous Greek accent!)<br>
<br>
My understanding was that a detachment of the 9th was destroyed by Boudicca's army, whilst trying to relieve Colchester, but that the bulk of the Legion fought against her under Suetonius and thus survived, later serving in Germany.<br>
There's a persistent myth in British folklore that the 9th was wiped out by the Picts, marching off into the northern mists, never to be seen again (and incidentally losing an eagle) but this is now widely accepted as pure fiction. Are you saying, definitively, that the Legion ceased to exist in Britain?<br>
<br>
Paul<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Paul,<br>
<br>
The information about the IX Hispania was taken form THE ROMAN LEGIONS" book by U. Pericoli & R. Conde published in Barcelona, Spain by EDITORIAL COLUMNA,S.A.<br>
<br>
More information can be obtain loggimg in on GOOGLE "History of IX Hispania Legion".<br>
<br>
As you may notice, information varies on actual outcome of this legion.<br>
<br>
Probaly the best information and most accurate will be given by THE ERMINE STREET GUARD of England. They are reenactors & historians that follow the the IX Hispania. Go to GOOGLE and log in on ERMINE STREET GUARD, once you get their Web site clic on ARTICLES then on IX, you will receive quite a story.<br>
<br>
Lucius Cornelius Traianus <p>Legatus Augusti Pro Praetore</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=luciuscorneliustraianus@romanarmytalk>Lucius Cornelius Traianus</A> at: 3/30/05 6:44 pm<br></i>
Stephen John McMahon
Thank again, Lucius,<br>
<br>
I wasn't aware that ESG represented the 9th, I'll take a look.<br>
<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>
Paul,<br>
<br>
The Ermine Street Guard are a unit of the Legio XX Valeria Victrix. However, they posted an article in the Web about the Legio VIIII Hispania, as I commented on in my former replay.<br>
<br>
<p>Lucius Cornelius Traianus<br>
<br>
Legatus Augusti Pro Praetore</p><i></i>
Stephen John McMahon
Ah, I see. I'll have a dekko, then.<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>