Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laquerii
Well, I am no expert in anything, including this, but what I've read on other groups on the web seems to indicate that the laquerius was outfitted basically like a retarius, but substituting the lasso for a net. So the rope wasn't really a weapon, but a means of capturing an arm or leg, neck, etc., to draw the opponent into spear range. From other mock combat, I can certainly attest that a spear can be quite as effective as a sword, and has a much longer reach.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Well, I am no expert in anything, including this, but what I've read on other groups on the web seems to indicate that the laquerius was outfitted basically like a retarius, but substituting the lasso for a net. So the rope wasn't really a weapon, but a means of capturing an arm or leg, neck, etc., to draw the opponent into spear range. From other mock combat, I can certainly attest that a spear can be quite as effective as a sword, and has a much longer reach.

If the laquearius was equipped like a retiarius than his long weapon should have been a trident not a spear. The hoplomachus was carrying the spear. What do the laquearii of the groups you mention wear for protective armor?
Quote:What do the laquearii of the groups you mention wear for protective armor?

[url:hemfcj2x]http://www.gladiator.at/index2en.html[/url]

Click on the sidebar labeled "Gladiators" When you see the laquarius appear, click on him for a short description. The same fellow is a retarius some of the time, too.

That link is a ludus in Hungary. I can't promise they have that part right, but the gear is simply a retarius, switches from trident to spear, and net to lariat.

Makes sense, in a way, but I don't think there's really a whole lot written about the laquerius. Might just have been less popular, or short-lived, or regional. I think if it were me, I'd rather have at least a net between my body and the secutor's sword...a rope doesn't offer much of a block, imho.

So there ya go, that's the best description I've found. I don't wanna be one of those. I'm sticking with pudgy retarius and Thracian.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I know that group and had seen their display, the first display of gladiatorial fights actually I watched. Their laquearius looks like a retiarius with a hasta and a lasso instead of trident and net. Hhhmm, but if that is correct...
I recall that n Pompeii ther are a couple of wall paintings which show what look like two Retiarius but armed with spears.

these are of course paintings of the paintings so may not be too accurate.

I will see if i can track them down .
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
The Thermenmuseum Heerlen (Netherlands) has a TS-fragment with two identical laquerii. Since they seem to be from one single stamp, they are identical and donĀ“t face each other.
---------------
All the best,
Frank.