Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive gathering in Germania in 2009
Quote:To wear a helmet during the fights was a really advantage, because a lot of romans reported headshots and hits to the head
Not only romans. Me too. 8)

Quote:cost of the Roman stuff (this high quality I mean)
Hmm... High quality helmet damaged in battle on wooden swords? :roll: Hard to believe. Well, maby I don't know the whole story.
pozdrawiam!
Bartosz Gluszczak

Hajris/Dagome chronicles
Well, even a seg will dent from being hit by a vitus! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Right Byron, and a helmet from the Optios Hastile......

@ Razoslav
The wooden swords that were used in Kalkriese were no Toys, because it makes no sense that they brake apart during the first stroke! Look at the pics, they were mostly make from massive wood and are capable of damaging a helmet or even brake a nose or other bones!
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
You are right Marcus. They were not a toys absolutely. I hope that Razoslav wanted only to joke a little, but every grown up knows, that even such "soft" weapon could be harmful or even lethal if anybody uses it without care...
SALUTO,
ANDREAS GOBINIUS

"ANTIQUITAS" OFFICINA ARTIS CRETARIAE

http://www.antiquitas.pl
[Image: ANTIQUITAS_logo_smaller.jpg]
Quote:The wooden swords that were used in Kalkriese were no Toys
Whose swords were they? For a group or provided to the groups by the organisation?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Every group used its own weapon Robert, but it was checked by the organizer every battle if standards of safety were fulfilled. The main rule was that it should not have any sharp edges but the hardness of it was various.
SALUTO,
ANDREAS GOBINIUS

@ Vortigern
The Organisation even wished that our wooden weapons look like real weapons, but i believe that with the exceptions of both Italian groups and the Legio XXII, no others used such "painted" weapons.
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
There was one more exception - pila provided by the organizers...
SALUTO,
ANDREAS GOBINIUS

Ah, yeah, i forget the pila. Whitout the long point, they fly really good :lol:
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
During the battle shows - it would be good to put a sort of referee in every unit to control the action. Referee (in priest costume?) could also act as an "angel of death".

By the way:
Well, gentelmen, , with a great respect for your beloved protective war gear. The question is: should your armour protect you, or you have to protect your armour against the weapon? The first idea seems to be quite reasonable.
You can be harmed during a pillow-fight too. As we all know even famous Soft Cushions can be dangerous...
Wojciech Wasiak (Votava)
HARJIS / DAGOME
@ Votava
You forget your real name in your prost!
No one have problems with dents and scratches in the bodyarmor or helmet that came inadvertently during fights. But there are no reasons to destroy the armor to let the fights and hits look "real" , and there are even no reasons to fight harder against romans because they wore Helmets, broad shields and Lorica Hamata or -Segmentata!
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
Yes exactly! Imagine if the heavily protected Romans did not show restraint, the results would be terrible. Confusedhock:
We do this for historical reenactment, not to settle old scores between antagonists who lived 2000 years ago!! :o wink:
To put on a good show which the public enjoy is the main aim of this type of event!
But to wreck someones equipment is not the best way to make friends......which is another reason I do this.... :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
A nice video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wt7BCa6F_k
I´m the guy who fell over the legionary at 3.41 minutes. It´s bad to fell on the ground with a large scutum in your hands and hordes of germanics hunts you :?
Marcus Iulius Chattus

...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
The most important:
What do you think about the idea of neutral referee in every unit?

Well, I can't imagine a helmet wrecked by wooden sword (without cosing concussion of the brain). Any photos? Maybe it would be useful to show it? Just to know what we are talking about. :roll: Please?

I also dislike lunatic-fighters
We (Harjis) fight clean, softy and safe (without any protection). I also find somebody's health more as more valuable than any shield or helmet. Just for instance: Razoslav has been hit in his head several times. Last year my ribs have been broken during the "fight-show". So, please do not tell me how important "safe-fighting" is. OK? Wink

Accidents happens and we have to avoid them. Anyway, maybe we have to remember, that this show is a fight show, not a "pink rabbit-play". We all have to be careful, but prepared. With all respect, maybe thin "ersatz-armour" is just not adequate? Otherwise what is the difference between reenacting and fancy dress party? Of course it is up to you (or the event-director) to choose the answer. That's all, I do not want to argue about that.

P.S.
[@Athenobarbus (btw - Atheno-barbus?), please excuse me: I'm afraid, I can not understand your comment. (Prost! Cheers! Na zdrowie! Lahaim! ;-) ) )]
Wojciech Wasiak (Votava)
HARJIS / DAGOME
People, let's not get carried away with claims of hits and who hit who and who did not. Shall we keeep this a thread about the event?

Quote: I can't imagine a helmet wrecked by wooden sword (without cosing concussion of the brain).
I can. With enough padding between the head and the helmet, you can dent a helmet without denting the head.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roma Aeterna - Gathering of the Legions mauritiuscomellus 51 10,104 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Last Post: vipsania