Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A full strength legion?
Salve,<br>
<br>
While in grammar school I used to be busy building up a legion in 1/72 Esci figurines, though I stopped after three and a half cohorts when the company once again stopped manufacturing. Are there other freaks that have entertained similar ambitions and carried their plans out using miniatures of any kind ? (NB one on one, not the wargaming style six figures are a cohort idea)<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
You've actually painted nearly 2000 figs? Petje af Sander! I started the hobby with an attempt at doing a Waterloo diorama and managed to paint about 350 figures, horses and guns. That was enough.<br>
Do you even have enough space to display 'em all?<br>
In Haltern they had a full legion, but I think the scale was smaller, something like 15mm figs.<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Salve,<br>
<br>
That took me several years, and some had to be repainted (and some still do) when paint was chipping of in storage. They are still in a cupboard at my parents, since I have no space available at my room (way too many books). When I finally move, I 'll see whether I can build a proper diorama for them.<br>
<br>
The Esci Roman legionaries were excellently detailed, though the lack of shield bosses was a backdraw and they had too many officers. They were superior to the Airfix Lindenschmitt reconstruction based Romans, which came with a nice fortlet though, or the Revell hollywood style praetorians (still had a cohort of the latter nevertheless). The new Italeri late republican figures are quite good and Haet has a fine range of republican era Romans with a number of imperial sets in development, including cavalry, auxilairies and troops in Adamclisi style armguards and greaves.<br>
<br>
The Haltern museum diorama was great. I visited it years ago when on a promotion tour with the Gemina Project for a Roman biking route.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Hibernicus of the 9th - Hispana, has a pretty big collection of miniatures. I don't know how many he has, but I added to his collection a couple of weeks ago. We're not going to build a whole legion, though. Our plan is to set up a vexetilio in camp complete with walls, pila muralia, and tents.<br>
<br>
It's a daunting task just to get that much done. I can't imagine painting thousands. EM <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
It was just a few dozens at the time, but over an extended period since I couldn't afford to buy them in bulk back then.<br>
<br>
Please do post some pictures on the web when you are finished, I am most interested.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Hat seems very ambitious and their master figures look excellent! I like the way they present their development process, really cool.<br>
<br>
Years ago I saw an add for a Roman marine on a ship's prow, but I've never been able to find it again, let alone who made it. Anybody got an idea?<br>
I'd love to have it and build a small diorama of the aquilifer of the 10th jumping into the surf during Caesar's British expedition.<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Holy Miercoles! Those Hat figures are bloody refined. My painting never looks that nice! E EM<br>
<br>
Sander, I'll probably chronicle the building of the camp the same way I'm doing the construction of my caligae. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
My original plan was to build a full strength centuria.. that seemed to be plenty enough work! But then one of the guys got this idea that since our group persona was that of a vexillatio on extended "patrol" that a portable diarama of a smallish marching camp brought to displays would help the public, students etc better understand what we were all about.<br>
<br>
Hibernicus<br>
Centurio<br>
LEG IX HSPA<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Has anyone thought of using 6mm figs? It's perfectly affordable -- even for a full legion -- and painting is about as easy as it gets. Less detail is more when painting tiny figs.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Some years ago we did a digital centuria.... cut and pasted an image several times.<br>
<br>
It was ..... inspiring!<br>
<br>
Sean Richards<br>
<br>
Hibernicus<br>
LEG IX HSPA <p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America