Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum Bracing
I have built several shields not scutum, and clipus styles, and a few medieval shields. I am curious since the Fayam (sp) does not seem to show any traces of having any braces on the back. Would it be incorrect to make scuti without the bracing? I know most of the reproductions I have seen all have the braces. Does this come from the Dura shields? or is there others with it that I do not know about?

Thanks,

Primvs
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Ave!

I was just reading that section of the Dura book last night, and the famous complete scutum did indeed have bracing on the back when found. It's all gone now, removed or covered by the "restoration" work (which was mainly aimed at saving the painted face). The handle is also gone, and apparently the rivet holes for the boss...

There were a couple other scutum fragments from Dura, and at least one still has some of the bracing on it. It's a flimsy little strip of wood about half to 3/4" wide and 2 to 3 mm thick, held on by glue and wooden pegs. No idea what its real purpose could have been!

I don't know if enough of the Doncaster shield survives to be sure about bracing or not. The Fayum shield didn't have any, though.

Trying to get out of putting the fabric over the braces, eh? Ha! If you just use narrow strips of the same 1/8" plywood that you make the shield out of, it'll be easier to cover than thicker wood. Interestingly, a couple of the oval plank shields from Dura Europas seem to have had no coverings. The wood was coated with glue mixed with fibers (possibly sinew), then coated with gesso and painted. Sometimes the edging was stitched on after the painting, sometimes before. But of course if you're using regular plywood for the board, you have to cover it with something.

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/