Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Groma
I recently purchased this ancient lead object. The dimensions and weight, according to the seller, are 22 millimeters and approx 53-54 grams. I posted it to another forum, and someone noted that they think it could be an ancient loom weight, or perhaps a weight on a Roman "groma," a surveying tool. Does anyone recognize this? Another opinion was that it could be something ornamental, like on the end of the rod. I would like some opinions and guesses as to what this little thing could be!

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
It looks like a tip of the gladius pommel to me, although I don´t know if they were ever made of lead...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Andrew,
To be a groma weight, it should be perforated all along its length (heigth) or have an iron ring cast in one with it protruding from its upper part.
On the other hand, it is supposed that groma weights should be pointy, more like a plumb bob (Or whatever its English name is... :oops: )

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner