Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are these objects?
Avete, amici!

Here at Freeman & Sear, we recently acquired two AMAZING Roman coins featuring military reverse types. But there is one feature common to both that has me a bit stumped, and I was wondering if the experts on the board could give me a little help.

First, a sestertius of Septimius Severus, struck in AD 211:

[Image: severus2.jpg]

We have the Emperor addressing the troops, a fairly common theme. But what are the curved objects rising from the group of soldiers just before the platform? They look like they might be Dacian falxes. If so, they might be "captured enemy arms being presented to the emperor." But this reverse celebrates a campaign in Britain— was the falx in use there, too? Or had it become a generic symbol of "enemy weapons." Or, could the falx have been used by Roman auxiliaries or even legionaries by this date?

Next, a sestertius of Caracalla, from AD 214:

[Image: caracalla2.jpg]

The reverse is much sharper here (you can even see individual scales on one of the soldiers' cuirass!), and the objects are a lot sharper. Here, they even more resemble falxes, so the questions raised above pertain.

Or, are these some form of standard or banner or other insignia that I am not familiar with?

I would really appreciate any help on this!
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
I found this statement on the web:

"In pre-Christian times the palm was regarded as a symbol of victory "
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Thanks for the input, Titus, but these are certainly not palm fronds. Particularly if you look at the Caracalla sestertius, you can see these mystery objects have none of the distinctive "branching" effect you see on virtually all coin depictions of palms, including this one:

[Image: KGJ014.jpg]

Any other ideas?
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Hmmm, interesting.

They do look like Falx, especially on the second coin. Trouble is the Dacian wars had been over for at least 106 years give or take a few punative mopping up operations. The later Marcomannic wars of the mid 2nd century had Sarmatian troops fighting with the Germanics and some of them may have retained the falx seeing as how they were allies of the Dacians in previous campaigns.

Tactics, weapons, etc change over the centuries and personally i can't see the Romans portraying a 'terror' weapon that they had overcome on coins well over a hundred years later, instead you normally see relevant historical themes and campaigns with the then ' equipment in use by the barbarians' depicted. Its a bit like us Brits now depicting some ancient bit of kit from the Boer war on a recently minted coin for a modern conflict.

The first lot do look like poorly rendered versions of palm fronds but the second bunch are curious. I think Osprey for what its worth did depict a (not sure which book) unit of 'Dacian' cavalrymen in the Roman army equipped with the falx. I think they were a guard unit from the 2nd century and had a scorpion on a hexagonal shield if that helps.

Phil barkers armies and enemies of Imp Rome has this shield in its unit listings.

Good luck.
Kuura/Jools Sleap.

\'\'\'\'Let us measure our swords, appraise our blades\'\'\'\' The Kalevala.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/palacecompany/">http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/palacecompany/
On the column of Marcus Aurelius, there is a scene of the Emperor addressing his troops and in front of him is a Dacian Falxman as a bodyguard it seems. So your coins could indeed depict a personal guard. You will see that he, alone, is keeping an eye on the assembled crowd as all the others are looking at the Emperor!

[Image: FalxmanMA.png]

This is the same as the scene on your Caracalla coin's reverse. Even down to the falxman looking away from the Emperor and also to the sagum he wears! Big Grin

Could it be that what we see here is possibly a typical or even formulaic way that the scene of the 'Emperor addressing the troops' was portrayed in different forms? A basic picture, always the same format, i.e. with the Emperor and his entourage stood on the dais, a group of soldiers and standard bearers, with one Dacian bodyguard with a very formiddable piece of crowd control equipment?

Regards,
Cool 8)
Kuura/Jools Sleap.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/palacecompany/">http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/palacecompany/
Actually come to think of it the later Varangian guard were also equipped with the falx or Rhomphaia as well as the 2 handed axe. Perhaps they were carrying on the tradition instigated by their earlier, western counterparts :?:
Kuura/Jools Sleap.

There is more evidence of the falx from a similar date as the coins in the form of an inscribed stone from Birdoswald (Camboglanna) on Hadrian's Wall. (RIB 1914; dated: c.AD219 - Five years after your Caracalla coin was struck to commemorate the campaign trip to Britain)

The third (and fourth) century garrison of Birdoswald was Cohors I Aelia Dacorum Milliaria, a one-thousand strong infantry regiment from Dacia,

[Image: birdoswald.png]

The beauty of this example is that it has both a palm frond and a falx depicted! A definite difference in the rendering.

The inscription reads"Under Modius Julius, legate of the emperor with propraetorian power, the First Aelian Cohort of Dacians (built this),
under the command of the tribune Marcus Claudius Menander."

A second inscription from Birdoswald (RIB 1909) also shows the Dacian falx.

Regards,
Kuura, Peroni, this is quite simply unbelievably cool! This is precisely what I posted these pieces on the RAT board for! Thanks for coming through. I owe you both an amphora of falernian (or beverage of your choice for this one at the nearest tavern) for this one!

Dacian falx-men in Roman army? In the Emperor's personal guard, no less? Depictions on the Column of Marcus Aurelius, and tombstones? Words fail to express the fundamental coolness of that.

I can see now Legio VI is going to have to come up with a "Dacian auxiliary falx-man" impression.
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Peroni—

Where did you get the image from the Antonine Column? If you look closely, even beyond the unsurpassably cool Dacian falx-man imperial guard, there are all sorts of interesting tidbits from that image. Standard bearers in scale armor with animal skins (lions?) draped over their heads (indicating this tradition was still good in the late 2nd century). The emperor and his entourage dressed in tunics, cloaks, breeches and some kind of lower-leg wrap (like the ones Graham Sumner shows in a couple of his books).

I've often heard the Antonine Column described of as a poor imitation of Trajan's column, and the art dismissed as derivative and untrustworthy. That is clearly not the case, IMHO. There are a lot of details that are clearly based in contemporary events, like the falx-man guard, clothing, etc. These are critical to our understanding of the military gear and styles in use in the later 2nd century— early 3rd.

Can anyone suggest a book or online resource that gives the Antonine Column the kind of detailed treatment it deserves, like the many books and at least one great website that do this for Trajan's Column? I've been looking for years, but have been unable to find anything.
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
The most detailed and probably still the best treatment of the column is the classic work by E.Petersen, A.von Domaszewski, and G.Calderini, Die Marcus-Säule auf der Piazza Colonna in Rom, Monaco, (1896). You might get access to it in a good library !
Salve Flavivs Crispvs,

The image above is only half of the original image. There are far more interesting details in the bottom portion, like the segmentata and legionaries carrying oval shields etc.

Here is the whole pic..

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... xman00.jpg

I do not know the book's title, but another member of RAT 'Caballo' (Paul B) has the book. It's where I got the image.

There is a group here in the UK possibly Roma Antiqua(?) that fields an auxiliary falxman. I may have a photo at home from one of the Chester events with him in it.

Regards,
Quote:like the segmentata and legionaries carrying oval shields etc.

Auxilliaries wearing segs, maybe?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
It's certainly a possibility. or possibly legionary light infantry.

Of course they could all be portrayed by the artist carrying 'traditional' equipment, rather like the use in sculpture of the Attic style helmet etc.

Regards,
Quote:
Quote:like the segmentata and legionaries carrying oval shields etc.

Auxilliaries wearing segs, maybe?

Troublemaker ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there