Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legion by Slitherine
There appears to be another Legion game under development in the UK, due in 2002. It looks like they're taking suggestions.<br>
<br>
www.slitherine.co.uk/html/index.html <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I'm always willing to assist with advice, playtesting, etc. Simulations deserve our support so they'll be reasonably correct teaching tools as well as a lot of fun!<br>
<br>
Who else might be interested?<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Oooh, me me me me me me! I love to have buggy-programmes disturbing my normally smooth working Bill-byproducts (does this make me look too eager?)<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I am game. That wil be good to relive the good old days of <i> Centurion</i>.<br>
<br>
A shame that the Total War spin off turned out to take the Crusades as subject.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander <p></p><i></i>
Got a lovely reply to my inquiry from Slitherine's director, Iain McNeil:<br>
<br>
<br>
"Hi Jenny,<br>
<br>
thanks very much for the mail and the offer of assistance. We're working closely with a number of Roman enthusiasts and to increase the number of people involved at this stage would add a lot of complication. I'm also into table top wargaming and the Patrician Roman is my army of choice, so we know a little about the period. We're trying to ensure we get the setting as accurate as possible, whilst maintaining a good balance for the gameplay.<br>
<br>
I think the best way we can use you is if we come up with a question we cannot answer, then I'll post a query on the forum and see if anyone has any ideas about it. Which would be the best section to post questions in - the game area? I've also added you to our mailing list so you will be updated on any major developments.<br>
<br>
One thing we have to bear in mind is that we are making a game and not a simulation, so sometimes we have to "tweak" history a little to get the best results. We'd rather get it right than wrong, but sometimes the game is just more playable if we do things a certain way, which can sometimes upset puritans. Hopefully this wont put too many of your people off :-) Once again, thanks for the offer of help and we hope you enjoy the game when it is released.<br>
<br>
Do your members know of the British Historical Games Society ( www.bhgs.co.uk ). There are also a number of other federations for different countries, which can be accessed from the links page. If your members are interested in wargaming then it would be well worth a look as there are lists of clubs, competitions etc.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Iain McNeil<br>
Director<br>
Slitherine Software<br>
<br>
<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
Sent: 22 August 2001 08:26<br>
To: [email protected] <br>
Subject: Research assistance<br>
<br>
<br>
Have just been informed of your website; the Legion game looks very promising. You are touching on areas of Roman history which haven't been treated by the computer gaming industry in the past, and it's a wonderful, fairly chaotic period.<br>
<br>
Our Roman history discussion group, based at pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk, is very interested in helping you with your project. We are an educated mix of professional historians and amateur enthusiasts who can assist with advice on not only the historical world of ancient Rome but also the appearance and armament of Roman soldiers during the early Republican and later periods. Several of our members would be willing to devote significant time answering questions, playtesting, or other assistance you might find useful.<br>
<br>
It's always very exciting to hear of new projects in the works that simulate ancient Rome. I wish you the best and look forward to hearing from you.<br>
<br>
Cordially,<br>
<br>
Jenny Cline<br>
Admin, Roman Army Talk forum<br>
Heidelberg, Germany<br>
[email protected] <br>
[email protected] "<br>
<br>
<br>
----------------------------<br>
<br>
<br>
Now isn't that charming? Much different from the developers at CA who were working on the STW sequel; that was like trying to communicate with a stone wall.<br>
<br>
Let's give these guys our full support! (And try supporting authenticity w/o being too picky about details E EM )<br>
<br>
I'll let Neil know that Slitherine staffers are welcome to "stump the board" with questions. Between Jasper, Sander, and our other lads I don't think they can do it!<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
It occurs to me that RomanArmy can become a clearinghouse for information on Roman army topics not just for game developers but anyone else looking for a central point of contact. the place to be! <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Sad indeed that STW has gone the way of the Crusades. By the way Jenny, have you checked out the Mongol Invasion yet?<br>
<br>
But it's great that this company cares enough to actually e-mail you back! Even if they don't drop in, I respect them for replying. <!-- <p></p><i></i>
Even the Crusades will be interesting, I suppose. No, haven't got Mongols yet. I suppose I'm out of my Shogun phase. Was playing Tropico for a while; fun but gets old fast. Then Europa Universalis -- oh my god, I hardly shut off the computer I was so hooked (after I figured out how to make the game boot E EM ).<br>
<br>
I'm delighted that we got in touch with Neil and Co. and I hope they'll take us up on the offer of help.<br>
<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Dear Jenny,<br>
I agree with your point on the niceness of someone indulging in the courtesy of replying to an email.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I agree the game sounds interesting...i wonder what Mr. McNeil meant by " the Patrician Roman is my army of choice..." I have never heard of the Roman army, in any epoch described as a patrician roman army...have i missed something? I know that in the age of the kings and the early republic the patricians would have supplied all the commanders etc....but if the entire army was "patrician"...i don't see Rome victorious in the struggle with Veii...let alone, with all of the italian tribes...sabine, samnite etc...so...can anyone tell me what is meant by that description. Thanks.<br>
<br>
Bospqr <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ubospqr.showPublicProfile?language=EN>bospqr</A> at: 10/14/01 3:11:51 am<br></i>
"Patrician" is an artificial label for the last stage of the western Roman army, thanks to Phil Barker and Co. of Wargames Research Group, who developed army lists for the WRG rules in the 70's and 80's. We're talking 5th century.<br>
<br>
It's just a convenient term. But the Romans themselves wouldn't have identified their army as "patrician."<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

<br>
Thank you very much!!! Ironic isn't it...the Romans never called their armies "patrician armies"...and by that late 5th century time...there were no true romans in the armies....thank you for responding...i'm pretty familiar with that time in history and had never heard the term...but...lol...if someone is really putting out an excellent wargame using roman armies as the theme...i would have hoped that they would have used the excellent roman armies for the game....oh well....thanks again.<br>
<br>
Bospqr<br>
<p></p><i></i>
yeah but the 5th century is a fascinating period. Lots of nifty characters, power struggles, epic migrations of whole peoples and you can listen to Wagner while you play it and not be anachronistic! :^)<br>
<br>
And the Later Imperial army still fought very hard even if filled with foreign recruits. These guys wanted all the benefits of Roman civilization. The only trouble was the endemic civil wars (saps the strength and causes morale problems) and the financial crisis which meant the army was usualy owed alot of back pay (which causes BIGGER morale problems).<br>
<br>
I think a game based on the 5th cent would be VERY cool. Of course I have several 4th to 5th century armies in my basement, so I may be biased!<br>
<br>
James <p></p><i></i>