Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans + Christianity
Travis: Thanks again for even more. I got a small work bonus, so after taxes, so I'll get a few more books this year.

Good cautionary points.

Same cautions apply to all works in all professional fields. Whenever I find an author's references to another author/researcher's, I try to ignore it. I'd rather keep focus on relevant, factual subject matters. IMO, the worst researchers can't always be wrong; the best can't always be right. I could be wrong tho... :lol:

Thx again. Best regards, +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Jesus Christ et al., Roman, Mid to Late 4th century, Catacomb of Commodilla, Cubiculum Leonis; image width 1016 pixels (this image will probably be deleted in about one month).
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Nice gallery of Roman and later images of Jesus Christ, in approximate chronological order. Click on thumbnails to see larger images. Some larger image pages include information about the artwork, and links to other websites for more information.

[url:3l51mj0k]http://www.religionfacts.com/jesus/image_gallery.htm[/url]
AMDG
Wm. / *r
You know? Looking at that gallery a strange sensation goes into my mind. I always asked myself rhetorically: how did Jesus go from a sheperd beardless youth to that Zeus-like bearded figure that we all recognize?

Also it represents to me the symbolic maturiing of Christianity as whole.

Just some musings... :?
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
Quote:
Cornelius Quintus:269txn36 Wrote:Ave William,

thanks for your great job! That's the kind of illustrations I'm always looking for. Big Grin

So don't hesitate to share some more thousands of them with us :wink:

Or please just give a hint. Which keywords and search engines do you prefer to find them? Your research is very successful!

Ave Heiko: My pleasure. So much more to come, given enough time.

Excellent! I use Google Image, which so far works best for me. I use English, German, Spanish, and Italian keywords that I know, and online foreign language dictionaries to get keywords that I don't know, and in other languages. Languages that do not use Roman letters/characters are much more time-consuming, time being too fleeting & precious. However, many websites in these languages include some keywords in languages that do use Roman letters/characters.

The biggest drawback is that many images are available on the internet for only a few days to a few months or years. I has taken me nine years to collect 3,000+ images so far, but my searches were sporadic (when I had time), and I'm sure that I missed many. Nevertheless, with enough time and persistence, you can get a good collection.

Yes, I'll be glad to compile and post a multi-lingual keyword list here in a few weeks. (Of course, it will be incomplete, but better than nothing.)

I'll also continue posting the better Roman image website links in several RAT threads, as I rediscover them.
Ave Heiko: And now, for the rest of the story... I started to compile a list of Roman web browser search keywords in various languages, quickly realized that I would not have enough time to do a good job.

Then, I realized that it would be much easier to describe how I do these searches to get so many articles & images. (I would rather teach others how to fish for themselves than try to feed them fish for the rest of our lives! :lol: )

I use "Wikipedia" articles to get additional keywords *and* I also use the foreign language "Wikipedia" links (usually on the "Wikipedia" article left margins) to get equivalent & related foreign language keywords.

You can also use free, online translating dictionaries to get more keywords for your web browser searches.

Hope this helps. Best regards, +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Quote: This is so complicated a subject, I could begin in about 100 or more different areas or trails to follow and be lost for the rest of my life.

Yes, "Romans & Christianity" is a vast, complex subject. Much lost, hidden, distorted, etc. in history. So much to read & analyze.

I started selected online readings. Here are two website link lists that include some of the more relevant websites (and other websites for my other, personal purposes):

[EDIT: DELETED]

Lately, I've focused on Saint Jerome and his late 4th & early 5th century times and actions. Déjà Vu...

+r Smile
AMDG
Wm. / *r
http://people.vanderbilt.edu/~james.p.burns/chroma/
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Hello,

On similar topic, I've write an article (published normally next year) about the vision of the christians authors on the pagan practices of divination. If some among you are interested, here is the links : http://bcs.fltr.ucl.ac.be/FE/09/divination.htm

Best regards
David
Months ago, I temporarily posted the image far below (which will stay posted for at least one month)... One person mentioned that it may have been a reader, rather than Jesus Christ. Yes, possibly.

Today, surfing for other things, I came across:

http://www.all-art.org/history124.html

[Image: 338.jpg]

from the 3rd century Roman "Ipogeo Degli Aureli" (Hypogeum of the Aurelii), in Rome.

The artwork in this hypogeum is mostly Christian. The symbols used in this particular fresco indicate that this fresco portrays Jesus Christ, the "Good Shepherd", feeding His flock with the Word of G_d. +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Quote:Hello,

On similar topic, I've write an article (published normally next year) about the vision of the christians authors on the pagan practices of divination. If some among you are interested, here is the links : http://bcs.fltr.ucl.ac.be/FE/09/divination.htm

Best regards
David: Thank you for the link to your article. Very interesting & informative. Another Laud for you. Best regards, +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Yale University webpage with links leading to Roman catacomb images:

http://research.yale.edu:8084/divdl/eik ... jectid=470
AMDG
Wm. / *r
[Image: prev11.jpg]

http://www.minoritenkulturgraz.at/Lehre ... page11.htm

Jesus Christ, King of the World, Roman, 5th Century, Italy, Rome, Catacomb Commodilla

St Peter on the left, receiving the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven; St Paul on the right.
AMDG
Wm. / *r
[Image: prev7.jpg]

http://www.minoritenkulturgraz.at/Lehre ... ppage7.htm

Finally found a 5th century Roman Chi Rho carving that also shows soldiers. The soldiers' clothing and equipment appear to be very ambiguous.
AMDG
Wm. / *r
University of Vienna, Austria website (in German/auf Deutsche), on Christ in artworks from ancient times to present:

http://www.minoritenkulturgraz.at/Lehre ... ilder.html
AMDG
Wm. / *r
During the past few weeks, I have started delving deeper into the academic & theological aspects of Romans & Christianity. As others have indicated, people could spend their entire lives in this broad subject area. (Most of my years in this life may have already passed, so I choose to study broadly, and dive deeply in fewer places.)

I'm particularly interested in early Christianity.

My scriptural studies over the decades indicate that Christianity, like other belief systems, has always had hyper-dimensional diversity of aspects. Among Jesus Christ's small group of apostles, thoughts varied considerably before Jesus' Crucifixion, and after, although to a lesser degree for some years.

Group 1: Each apostle's interpretation of what they saw, heard, felt, and thought differed. They were Jews (ranging from a tax collector to a zealot) who eventually believed that Jesus was the prophesied savior, and they formed the core of the more Hebrew influenced "Jewish Christianity".

Group 2: Paul (Saul of Tarsus) strongly opposed, then later strongly supported Christianity, and brought it to the Gentiles. Paul and Peter (apostle) differed on a number of key theological issues, but eventually reconciled to some degree. Paul & his associates formed the core of the more Hellenistic influenced "Pauline" Christianity

Group 3: Many others honestly developed diverse variations of Christianity, through their differing insights, interpretations, understandings, and additions & subtractions of key theological issues. Some of these people may have formed the core of "Gnostic Christianity". (I still have much to learn here)

Group 4: Many others dishonestly developed diverse variations of Christianity, knowing & willfully deceiving others for various reasons. Simon Magus is portrayed as trying to deviously buy his way into Christianity & lead his own "denomination".

Each of these "groups" have had considerable internal variations at any time, and over the centuries. Pauline Christianity became dominant by about Constantine's time & it has continued splitting, merging, rebelling, reforming, etc. ever since then. Human nature.

I'm inherently skeptical & analytical.

Original documents. An 1,800 year old document that differs from accepted scriptures (canons) is not necessarily valid because of its age. Accepted canons are not necessarily valid because of group consensus in ancient times. Lost writings, mistranslations, copying errors, etc.

Practices: Co-opting other cultures' & religions' rituals, tools, symbols does not necessarily equate to syncretism, i.e., does not necessarily mean the merging of the values & beliefs behind the co-opted items..

As my studies continue & I learn, unlearn & relearn more, I'll continue to share general highlights & selected details on early Christianity in Late Antiquity, it's evolution, key players & their writings, etc. through about 500 AD.

Pax vobiscvm, +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r