Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cornu
There are some good examples of bracing and joints in "Weapons of the Romans" Author: Michael Feugere: ISBN: 0752425064
Tempus Publishing Ltd

Regards,
If that is an digital artifact it is damn convenient one I'd say. In just the right position, at a good angle, both ends stopping right where they should. Those digital gremlins must be getting AI.

(In short I suspect it isn't a digital mistake. But what do I know? Not a hell of a lot.)

Quote:The original also has an extra bit (a chain?).

No, I think it's a solid tube, and the scanner has added the 'chainlink' artefacts.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
A good article with drawings of the different parts of the cornu can be found in:

Roman military equipment : the accoutrements of war : proceedings of the third Roman military equipment research seminar / Ed. by M. Dawson

BAR. International series ; 336

Oxford : BAR, 1987

The article is written by Peter Barton and is titled: 'On making a Roman cornu'.

Best regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Roman military equipment : the accoutrements of war : proceedings of the third Roman military equipment research seminar / Ed. by M. Dawson
ISBN #? This might be a good read.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
ISBN: [amazon]0860544303[/amazon]

Yes it looks like a very interesting article. Even has a few note beams Smile

Kind regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
1.)
All the corni made by metal-craftsman instead of an instrument-craftsman
did not work properly or the sound was not what we expected as musicians.

2.)
There are wholla lotta founds of mouth-pieces for often we are not quite sure which one were used for a cornu.
For the best one you should use a Baroque-mouth-piece for trumpet, not for horn.
We guess they changed mouthpieces for different thingies they wanted to play with the cornu.

3.)
We have hints of what were the calls like!

4.)
The cornu brings much more tomes then 6-8 different ones, it simply depends on the player. Altough it owns a nature scale of a horn a good player is able to force the cornu to play tones which do not belong to the normal scale.

5.)
Every unit had cornicen AND tubicen...to be historical correct you should use both of them with different players.
One was for the troup-signals the other one played signals for the signiferii.
They both sound different, also depending on the mouth-piece.

6.)
Lituus is a big discussion...but it seems that all the litui I watched so far in museums in Europe come from the Medieval Ages. Also we have not ikonographic evidences.

7.)
The guy who plays the cornu should really be able to play a trumpet, othertwise there will be too limited tones for what we know of their calls.

Hope that helped a little ;-) )
Greetz
Susanna
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.
Quote:The guy who plays the cornu should really be able to play a trumpet, othertwise there will be too limited tones for what we know of their calls.

Dear Susanne, what do we know of the cornu calls?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Did you listen to our MySpace?

www.myspace.com/mvsicaromana

there you can listen one track of our new CD.

I will be write about it during this year on our website, when I will be back home and have finished the booklet for our new CD. :wink:
Susanna

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.musica-romana.de">www.musica-romana.de

A Lyra is basically an instrument to accompaign pyromanic city destruction.