Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BJJ vs. Kung fu
Khairete

Kung-Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, and other striking arts are all well and good for a time, but when the fighting goes to the ground they are next to useless. If you have seen many street fights, they almost always go to clench range and then to the ground. Often immediately the fight is to close for kicks or longer punches. It is essential to become good at grappling.

Here is Gracie (Brazilian) Jiu-Jitsu vs. Kung Fu. Actually, the kick destructions at the opening of the fight are Muay Thai or Jeet Kun Do style rather than BJJ. But the ground stuff is all BJJ. I have studied BJJ and Jeet Kun Do and highly recommend them.

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/652/

While it may look like Royce (in white) does not have very much control, he knows what he is doing. There were several opportunities where he could have applied submission holds, but he chose not to for whatever reason.

Khairete,

-Aedon
Felix Lucini

It will not be long before you have forgotten all the world, and in a little time all the world will have forgotten you.
my cousin just last weekend won his first compatition in BJJ.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Avete fratres!

I personally do not believe in one art's superiority over another. Every fighting arts have their advantages and disadvantages. I must admit, however, that BJJ has strong ground tactics and the Gracies are excellent exponents of the art. But, like I said, a good Gung Fu man can pretty much handle much of what is thrown at him. Most Gung Fu styles have, what I like to refer as, anti-grappling and counter-grappling maneuvers. Some just chose not to explore these.
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
I agree. It's always the man, not the style, that you're fighting. You take someone competant in stand up, who can defend against take-downs by sprawling, then your ground game is in trouble because you'll never have a chance to use it. One lucky shot to the jaw and it's lights out for you.

I don't believe you can or should have training in only one type of martial art. That's why for all of it's publicity and marketing, MMA styles encompass the best of both worlds.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Avete fratres!

I personally do not believe in one art's superiority over another. Every fighting arts have their advantages and disadvantages. I must admit, however, that BJJ has strong ground tactics and the Gracies are excellent exponents of the art. But, like I said, a good Gung Fu man can pretty much handle much of what is thrown at him. Most Gung Fu styles have, what I like to refer as, anti-grappling and counter-grappling maneuvers. Some just chose not to explore these.

Agreed.
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
Quote:I don't believe you can or should have training in only one type of martial art. That's why for all of it's publicity and marketing, MMA styles encompass the best of both worlds.

Khairete,

Indeed. For ground work BJJ is good. For striking, take Muay Thai or Jeet Kun Do. There are other good ones out there, but these are the styles I can recommend from personal experience.

Khairete,

-Aedon
Felix Lucini

It will not be long before you have forgotten all the world, and in a little time all the world will have forgotten you.