Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Berkasova helmets to Trier in 2007
Avete, fratres et sorors!

For all of you Late Roman fans (and seriously, who doesn't love Late Roman stuff, eh?)...

A highly placed source has informed me that two of the most famous Late Roman helmets ever found, the beautiful, bejeweled Berkasova helmets in the museum of Novi Sad, Serbia, will be coming to Trier, Germany in 2007 as part of an exhibit on Constantine the Great and his times.

Better start priming your digital cameras now!
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Helmets found in Berkasovo are kept in Novi Sad, Museum of Vojvodina, Serbia and Montenegro, and now original helmets are displayed on exhibiton of Roman army in Pannonia. Replicas are usually displayed on permanent exhibitiion in the same museum. This just for the reference.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Ave, Arahne--

Correction duly noted and made-- I was working from memory and from a phone conversation. "Novigrad" and "Novi Sad" are a little too close for my aged ears to tell apart...

I am assured the ones to be loaned to Trier will be two of the original helmets, not replicas.
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Quote:A highly placed source has informed me that two of the most famous Late Roman helmets ever found, the beautiful, bejeweled Berkasova helmets in the museum of Novi Sad, Serbia, will be coming to Trier, Germany in 2007 as part of an exhibit on Constantine the Great and his times. Better start priming your digital cameras now!
Wow. Wish I could be there. I've had the good fortune to be able to visit Trier twice, but it's a city I could spend a lifetime in and still enjoy. Add to that the Constantine exhibit... I'd be in heaven on earth. (The Neo-Flavian Dynasty being my preferred historical era.) In fact, one of the reasons we chose the congregation that we are part of here in Illinois is because the church structure reminds me of the reconstructed basilica in Trier!
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Once again, those of us in the U.S. are envious. Whether for the re-enactments, the museums, the moving tours of antiquities or just being able to stand over a spot of land and gaze out and envision what had transpired centuries ago, we live through your eyes.

When possible, please supply links.
Steve
I surely will visit the city (again Big Grin ) when the exhibit will take place.
I will take some pics and post them here on RAT.
Someone else will go?
Maybe we can go together or meet overthere?
Nico
Nico Creces
Flandres
I spoke about the replicas because in the last year there was a rumour that someone is making plans for stealing those helmets from museum, as well as Avar golden belt from Sirmium, so originals were moved to safe deposit. I also believe that originals will be on exh. in Trier. Maybe I'll catch more info.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
Quote:A highly placed source has informed me that two of the most famous Late Roman helmets ever found, the beautiful, bejeweled Berkasova helmets in the museum of Novi Sad, Serbia, will be coming to Trier, Germany in 2007 as part of an exhibit on Constantine the Great and his times.

Good news of course. But I guess you are referring to both of the Berkasovo helmets? Only one is decorated, you know, the other one with jewels (well, not really jewels either) is the one from Budapest.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That's really good news!

I just was wondering if the exhibition will be just one of all the other late-roman exhibitions we had in Germany. Normaly there are lots of coins, two or three other artefacts and nothing about militaria or something like this. and concerning Konstantin they all are just fixed on Christianity and -in Trier likely more than somewhere else - on his mother Helena, who is suggested to be the builderin of the first church in trier and nearly every other big capital of the roman time...

I'm looking forward to the exhibition, and I'm sure that the minervii will be there.

And here'S the link to the official website of the exhibition
http://www.konstantin-ausstellung.de/
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
we are speaking about these two helmets
[Image: berkasovo1.jpg]
[Image: berkasovo2.jpg]
Stefan Pop-Lazic
Ah yes, so I figured. I was just wondering when there was mention of 'bejeweled helmets' as in plural.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
OH MY.... :o o o !
Since long ago I was dreaming of travelling to Novi Sad to examine the helmets (and the other accompanying small finds) by myself. The Trier venue will not spare me that task in a future but it will be a welcomed first contact! Big Grin
Would they like to have some late re-enactors? 8) Does anybody here have contact with the organizers?

Stephan,
I couldn't imagine that the Museum staff was so worried about the possibility of the helmets being stolen... Cry
I plan to reconstruct a belt based on the Berkasovo silver fittings but I have only the small pics published on Klumbach's book. Several features cannot be clearly seen. Could you, pleas, help me with some different pics or even direct obsrvation? Many thanks! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman helmets with one-piece bowls LWMM 2 1,184 11-14-2017, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Trier/Trevers: Funds raised for building roman freight vessel Simplex 4 2,135 04-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Last Post: deleted
  Interesting lesson on the development of the late roman helmets Virilis 1 2,240 11-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs