Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Essex 25mm Late Roman Army
You know, I finally dragged out my Essex Late Romans, unfinished and languishing in storage for the last 12 years. I think the long-dormant painter in me may be resurfacing, inspired by my recent purchase of a bunch of flat figs (oh my god, are THOSE a royal pain to paint!!!).<br>
<br>
Anyway, should I bother to paint my Late Romans? Does anyone play with 25mm anymore? There's enough there for a 7th ed WRG army. Should I go ahead and paint/base them for WRG, or for something else?<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
25s have had somewhat of a resugence thanks to rulesets like WAB, largely based I suspect on the fact that so many kids grow up with 25mm-30mm fantasy figures, and the costs which games workshop add on. Just about any historical manufacturer seems cheaper once they've been sucked in by citadel premiums. <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Ooooh... nifty. I love that period. My only grouse is all the legionaries still for sale based upon Barker's leather armour interpretation. I prefer McDowell's chain armoured reconstructions which are available from Gripping Beast and Foundry.<br>
<br>
And as stated by others 25/28mm figures are making a come back. I think part of it has to do with gamers all getting old and not being able to see their 15s anymore!<br>
<br>
Player's for WRG 7th are a bit hard to find. But Phil Viverito's "Classical Hack", and Terry Gore's "Ancient Warfare" rules use similar frontages. WAB players frequently use the 20x20mm basing from WFB. WAB isn't bad. Lot of fun, but it has some weaknesses. Depends on how serious you want to get I guess. Many WRG 7th players went to DBM when that game came out. It uses similar 60mm wide stands for troops, but no single figure casualties. DBM is a silly game though if you want a historical scenario. If you want an even points tournament style game with unhistorical opponents then it's the way to go.<br>
<br>
But if you are comfortable with WRG 7th and can field both sides then your opponent will have to use your rules won't they?<br>
<br>
James<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Released: Late Roman Cavalry in 25mm Scale Narukami 0 1,435 05-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Narukami
  Palmyrans 25mm Theo 0 1,466 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Theo
  Roman 25mm Figures I\'ve been painting (novice/advanced) Gordak 5 2,406 07-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Olaf The Viking