Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome and the enemy
Hi!
Is the book "Rome and enemy: Imperial strategy in the principate" of Susan P. Mattern, worth to be buy? I have the oportunity, but don't want to expend the money without being sure.
Thanks for any help
Hi,
here you can find a review of this book.
Greetings
Alexandr
Seems good. Thanks for the link.
Yes, interesting book for sure, but not uncontroversial.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi again!
I have buy the book, and have already read the first 2 chapters. The book is very interesting, put a lot of good questions, make you think, but sometimes i think it's absolutly impossible mto prove all those good ideas.
But for now i have a doubt: it says that the legions of the east since the principate were composed by "peregrini" (locals who would receive the citizenship as soon they would enrolled in the legion), and not roman citizens, the contrary of what happened in the west, were only romans were accepted in legions. Is this true? That would be a good reason for the latinization of the west: if the soldiers were romans, after settled, they would help to romanize the territory (of course i have already read that things didn't occured quite like that, but it's another story).,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hannibal: Enemy of Rome trailer ParthianBow 6 2,498 06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Rome and the Enemy: Imperial Strategy in the Principate Anonymous 6 1,567 07-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Anonymous
  Rome and the Enemy Anonymous 1 1,240 05-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Anonymous