Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were the Germans physically superior?
Quote:As a few people have mentioned, Tacitus says that the Germans were tall, but I think it interesting that he hedges his bets on their strength and endurance:
Quote:[The Germans’] physique, so far as can be said with their vast numbers, is identical: fierce blue eyes, red hair, tall frames, powerful only spasmodically, not correspondingly tolerant of labour and hard work, and by no means habituated to bearing thirst and heat…
Tacitus, Germania, 4
There is a note in my edition of Loeb that vaguely and unhelpfully says “skeletal remains confirm for Germans part of what he states."
I'd be interested what remains those were!

Tacitus is also accused of making a political point here. He's comparing the physique of Romans, Gauls and Germans, and states (at least I think I recall that - correct me if I'm wrong!) that Gauls were taller than Romans (Italians) and Germans larger than Gauls. But was that not also a polital comparison? The Germans were to be portrayed as fiercer than Gauls, and hence more dangerous. But also as sort of 'more noble' than the Romans - to make a point about the political devolution that Tacitus wanted to address? I bet that Germans were taller than your average Mediterranean person, but at the same time I also bet that Tacitus never saw a crowd of Germans either. Germans did not 'all' have red hair!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: - by MeinPanzer - 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Re: Re: - by Tarbicus - 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Re: - by Alanus - 04-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Re: - by SigniferOne - 05-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - by Robert Vermaat - 05-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - by Abe - 12-25-2012, 04:59 AM