Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were the Germans physically superior?
....not "my week", I suppose.
First, installing a new graphic card in my computer went wrong, being offline because of it being a simple waste of time....
second, the papers I remember on Stettfeld are not the one I found.
Alas, to keep things going I'll show a list on anthropological dates from "Peter Schröter: Anthropologie der Römerzeit/Anthropology of Roman Era, aus/from: Die Römer zwischen Alpen und Nordmeer/Romans between Alps and Northern Atlantic;
pp 177-181, here: p 179"
[attachment=0:1wyxgu8y]<!-- ia0 Körpergröße-Römerzeit-bild.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:1wyxgu8y]
Bottom line: Abb./Pic. 148: Averaged data of some skulls' dimensions (in mm) and -indices as well as (over all) body sizes (in cm) of series from roman times (males) out of southern Germany and Denmark.
The last line is detailing the overall body size, whereas lines one and two are refering to the lenght of the skull and the width of it respectively. ( The numbers in parentheses seem to be referring to the numbers of clearly identified individuals)
The first column in referring to the cemetery at Stettfeld (both funerals and burials), a vicus that "went under" after 259/260 AD. The population is referred to here as being of a "mixed celtic-roman population.
( Reference: J.Wahl-- EDIT: Menschenknochen/Human bones. In: Das römische Gräberfeld in Stettfeld I/The roman cemetery of Stettfeld I;
Forsch. u. Ber. Vor.- und Frühgeschichte Baden-Würtemberg 29, Stuttgart 1988, pp 46-223)
The second and third column are referring to results from Danmark, the second attributed to burials up to 160 AD, the third to the times between 160 and 400 AD.
(Reference: B.J. Sellevold/U. Lund Hansen/ J.Balslev Joergensen--Iron Age Men in Denmark. Prehistoric Men In Denmark 3. Nord. Fortidsminder B 8, Kobenhavn 1984)
The fourth column is referring to the burial place(s) of the late roman castrum at Neuburg/Donau.
This fortlet is supposed to have had personel largely composed of germanic soldiers.
(Reference: G. Ziegelmayer--Die archäologischen Befunde/The archeological findings; in: E. Keller: Das spätrömische Gräberfeld in Neuburg an der Donau/ The late roman cemetery of Neuburg on the Danube. Materialh. Bayer. Vorgesch. A 40; Kallmünz 1979 pp 71-116)
Unfortunately that summary on anthropology of roman times is not very specific about the numerical distribution of the types found at Stettfeld.
Physical superiority of germanics !? Most likely so -- at least as far as sheer body size is concerned. :mrgreen:

Flogging a dead horse herewith ? :roll:
I hope not.

Greez

Siggi
EDIT: 20th of May 2010; added original title
Siggi K.

Messages In This Thread
Re: - by MeinPanzer - 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Re: Re: - by Tarbicus - 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Re: - by Alanus - 04-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Re: - by SigniferOne - 05-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - by Simplex - 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM