Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cannae
As every year, I devote a minute of this day to all the fallen at Cannae, august the 2nd 216 b.c..<br>
Fabius Pictor <p></p><i></i>
Imagine giving a solem minute for every battle, fought by our roman ancestors? We'd be a walking society of mutes. <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Compromise: only be silent for all the lost battles. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I'm agree with both of you my friends. But Cannae was not only a battle: it has been a turning point in mediterranean world; maybe now we would discuss about our phoenicians ancestors! or whatelse. After Cannae the whole roman political system risked to collapse. In terms of men at arms, the second punic war has been one ot the (if not the one) biggest conflict in the human history. Rome was going to be swept away from the world. It did not happen, whit huge sacrifice never imposed again in her history. To Rome was given the victory after a long series of alternating field victories where many generals, from both sides, have given us a fashinating history to read hwrw the Fortuna played a misterious part. Anyway, Cannae has been on of the turning point of the world we know and live now. I like to remenber those fallen there. I can tell you that the field, today, still gives you strange emotions!.<br>
Vale<br>
FP<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Is Cannae really a turning point? Or is that just the fascination of this battle: Rome lost a huge amount of manpower and for all the victories on the battlefield, Hannibal didn't manage to improve his situation strategically. I would consider for instance the campaign of Salamis & Plataea a turning point in history. The Persians were never to return, allowing the Greeks to continue developing democracy, philosophy and history, among others. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
No one single turning point.<br>
Many times western culture risked being brushed aside.<br>
Persian/Greek wars, Rome/Carthage, and many many more, even recently. They are all convincing to me...<br>
<br>
No one can deny Hannibal almost made Rome fall. Glory to Rome and to the great Hannibal for trying!<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
<i><br>
Compromise: only be silent for all the lost battles.<br>
</i><br>
<br>
Then we have another respectful silence coming up on August 9 for the Battle of Adrianople.<br>
<br>
After my silence I'll then drink a beer in honour of Fritgern's victory. I'm a very fair man (and a fan of the Goths, of course).<br>
Cheers, <p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius
<BR>
<P>
Visit 'Clades Variana' - Home of the Varus Film Project</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Good idea Tim,<br>
<br>
For every moment of silence, we should consume 1 beer/mixed drink. Think of what a sad/happy drunk society we'd become. Wait, we might be one already...Speaking of which, I have to run to the liquor store... M <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>