Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Latin language study growing so much in the U.S.A.?
I've just red in an italian newspaper that in the U.S.A. the number of students choosing to study Latin has suddenly grown a lot on this year.<br>
<br>
Can you confirm that's true, and if so, what in your opinion provoked it so suddenly?<br>
<br>
Ualete,<br>
<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
It is true in Virginia: in our county, Latin is taught in two elementary schools this year, expanding to six more next year. The number of students paying to take the National Latin Exam has expanded greatly, over 100,000 at last count.<br>
<br>
Why? The thinking seems to be that Latin gives a better understanding of the structure of English (maybe French and Spanish as well); it is also taught as a history class and some literature (mythology, eg) so it's more than a language. Below is a June 20 article in the Washington Post about a Latin teacher in one of the outlying counties around our area.<br>
<br>
www.washingtonpost.com/wp...Jun20.html<br>
<br>
It certainly does not hurt to have Romans show up!<br>
<br>
www.geocities.com/richsc53/varun.html <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/
ICQ 940236
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=richsc>RichSC</A> at: 6/24/02 6:06:27 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Be nice if it caught on in Canada too. <p>"Remember, pillage first....then burn."</p><i></i>
Ya... its all these darn over-achievers looking to go to good colleges and get into Law School and such. Everyone gets told Latin helps you on the SAT and is useful in expanding ones vocabulary and understanding of English, which it does. But with so many jobs worth anything requiring college now, lots more people are doing all they can to prepare. There is also I've heard, quite a demand for Latin teachers now, at least in Ohio.<br>
<br>
But great I say! More fresh blood.... er...uh... I mean more people to enjoy the wonderful and exciting field of classics!<br>
*Is still praying she won't get sucked into being a classics major, but is very much afraid* <p>-Satsobek</p><i></i>
-Christy Beall
I learnt Latin due to that terrible priest who was my teacher of Latin. Two years of fear, I hate him (I was fourteen) because it forced me to study all afternoon long and the early morning too to be prepared. That sadistic b#!*^d examined us all everyday..., uhm, but now, thirty years after, I remember yet all the latin declensions and conjugations and I think I could translate (slowly) quite well yet, and after all, I'm really glad about it...<br>
<br>
Ualete,<br>
<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

If Latin could be o.k. enough, English not so much: as always, I've done some (!) mistakes in my previous message, brrrrrrr....<br>
<br>
Ualete,<br>
<br>
Titus Sabatinus Squilius <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

That's very good news. I wish that it was true here in the midwest.<br>
<br>
Although I've forgotten most of my Latin, it was Latin that taught me English, and German. basic Latin, at least, shold be taught in grade school, IMHO. <p>Salve,<br>
Triarius<br>
One of the pack, maybe. One of the herd, <i>NEVER!</I></p><i></i>
Speaking of latin, anyone ever checked out the basic latin drills on the Nova Roma site? Not that I am a fan or member, but it seemed pretty helpful as a start. <p>"Remember, pillage first....then burn."</p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
For Latin drill commands consult the <i> Strategikon</i>. Though written in Greek it preserves the commands in Latin. Whatever else is known about them is in Greek.<br>
<br>
Dennis, G.T., <i> Maurice's Strategikon. Handbook of Byzantine military strategy</i> ( Philadelphia 1984) 178p.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sandervan Dorst <p></p><i></i>
A Latin teacher who reviewed the commands at our Roman Days had problems with the some of the grammar and is going to give me her thoughts. She noted the mixing of singular and plural commands, for example, though these could be traditional. She also thinks they aren't really written in 1st century style, but I'll post her suggestions when she sends them to me. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Salve,<br>
<br>
The <i> Strategikon</i> dates from the later sixth century AD and it does inocrporate some contemporary terms that would not have been used in the first century AD (eg use of <i> bandum</i> as the term for standard). Yet the nature of the commands corresponds to earlier manuals (eg turning shield - and spear side for turning left and right). A continuation of tradition may also be discerned in some of the formations and manoeuvers described, which resemble parts of Arrian's work (the <i> Strategikon</i> for instance details how infantry might open their formation to allow cavalry through, strongly reminiscent of the final part of the <i> Ektaxis</i>). Latin had made only limited inroads in the east outside officialdom and even the government and army administration used Greek in earlier times in addition to Latin. By the sixth century the language was no longer in any widespread use in the empire, though transliterated Latin terms continued to feature in Greek vocabulary for centuries to come. Judging by writing on papyri, writing tablets and inscriptions many a Roman would have failed their Latin exams at a modern day grammar school.<br>
<br>
Regrads,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
I've heard that its growing elsewhere in the country but here in my county near atlanta their getting rid of latin. Their argument is that it is a useless language and waste of time and they can't fill the classes. My girlfriend who teaches english and is certified for latin was hoping to teach it but was told that it is being phased out. A big mistake, but they want to get rid of art and music so what chance does latin have. I wonder what they are thinking but to be honest our school board has only one educator on it and the rest don't have a clue about education and don't see the value of latin or even art and music. Sorry for the rant.<br>
<br>
Naso <p></p><i></i>
Here in Italy, an almost (or totally?) communist minding by the past 35 years dominating intellectual class (but now is slowly changing...), has practically destroyed the love for Roma and the Latin language: starting from '68 universities, like a tornado, hit the schools to rid of any roman cultural heritage among the young people and young adults.<br>
<br>
The result is ignorance, just here in the Fatherland, where everything started, but you probably already know about it. Though maybe you don't know about the "Certamen latinus" a high level latin language competition for students held every year in Italy: latin is hard to die anyway...<br>
<br>
I think we have a duty (or a pleasure?): to find always new and "modern" ways to diffuse the roman heritage,<br>
to put them side by side to the traditional ones in order to fight ignorance about this matter.<br>
<br>
As we know, re-enactment is one of those ways, a great way: "modern" and effective; but maybe it needs of<br>
something more to get new "proselitism" and avoid to become an "esotheric club", so, hints and pathfinders are greatly welcome.<br>
<br>
Ualete,<br>
<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

See, we need latin classes just to help us understand our own languages. Latin has helped me with my english grammar and vocabulary. Plus it obviously will help in learning other languages especially romance languages. Oh well.<br>
<br>
Naso <p></p><i></i>
I see our job then, as putting Latin, history and the arts back in schools. The rationale for removing them escapes me. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latin language forums Anonymous 5 2,321 12-30-2002, 04:19 AM
Last Post: richsc