Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source for archaeology/ancient history publication reviews?
I would like to consider myself be up to date with the latest archaeology/ancient history publications. For those of us working outside the academic world, this presents a bit of a challenge. Can anyone recommend a source that publishes timely reviews of new releases? RAT, of course, is an excellent resource for learning of Roman military publications. Yet, its strength lies more with providing answers to members' specific questions, rather than offering a comprehensive monthly review of upcoming publications. The Bryn Mawr Classical Review, for instance, "publishes timely reviews of current scholarly work in the field of classical studies (including archaeology)." This site is the format I'm after, but I'm hoping there is a similar version out there which is specific to the Roman/barbarian military.

Here's the Bryn Mawr site:
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
I don't think something like that exists. Within the academic community too, Bryn Mawr is also, by far, the fastest medium.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
There are plenty of bibliographies around, especially in published papers and articles on the Roman military.

Sometimes I'll use Google to find reviews on a book. Enter the title of the book or paper in "quotes" and add 'review' into the search. Sometimes I get lucky and there will be a write up about it, but you also have to sift through the sales sites to find a review.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Open Access Journals on Ancient History Jona Lendering 33 45,440 03-20-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: mcbishop
  Roman Invasion of Britain: Archaeology v History mcbishop 2 1,404 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Ancient History Encyclopedia Vindex 1 1,513 07-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest