Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New book on Teutorburg/Varus
This has just been brought to my attention...

[Image: Varus.jpg]

PUBLICATION DATE: 12 May 2006
HARDBACK £20.00 GBP
ISBN: 0 7509 4015 8

Has anyone read this?

Regards,
I have not read it, but the author has approached me about a year ago with several questions. I had the impression that he really knew what he was doing.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Here's a link to a Word .doc with something about the author:

[url:3010nxlo]http://adrianmurdoch.typepad.com/bread_and_circuses/files/rgd_pr.doc[/url]

Although it might be best to use this HTML conversion:

HTML version
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I WANT that book. Thank you very much. I have a friend in London. I'll ask him por it.

Cheers.
I\'\'m sorry. It\'\'s very hard for me to write in English.

Nino Parrilla.
Quote:"After this battle, the Roman leaders never again attempted to conquer land east of the Rhine."
I hope that's just the blurb from the publishers, for if not it does not spell anything well for the rest of the book. Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes and no. I agree because the Ager Decumates is east of the Rhine. I disagree, and would say the statement is essentially correct, because the A.D. was an attempt to shorten the frontier; it was a defensive measure, because there were no real plans to conquer land west of the Rhine.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote: Yes and no. I agree because the Ager Decumates is east of the Rhine. I disagree, and would say the statement is essentially correct, because the A.D. was an attempt to shorten the frontier; it was a defensive measure,

The Agri Decumates were by no means conquered 'just to make a shortcut' or a bufferzone. There were later plans to conquer the Marcomanni, the defeat in 9AD did not means a total moritorium on conquests in the territories east of the Rhine.

Quote: , because there were no real plans to conquer land west of the Rhine.
I'm sure you meant 'east of the Rhine' there.. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
East and west - of course.

As to the Marcomanni, yes, that's east of the Rhine but I think that most Romans would have thought that it was north of the Danube. As far as I know, it was a war of the Danube legions, not the Rhine legions.

Anyhow, it's not a big issue. There is sufficient evidence that the Romans did not abandon the Lippe valley immediately and continued to fight east of the Rhine.
Jona Lendering
My website
I now have the book by Adrian Murdoch and read the first chapters. It's great!! (Unfortunately, he mentions our discussion on the museums he should visit; so now I can not write a review...)
Jona Lendering
My website
I'll have it soon. Now it's coming from London to Tenerife.

Cheers.

Nino Parrilla.
Hi,

I've read it, and it really is a book of two halves.

The first 2/3s was great- a good write-up of the Varusschlacht and the aftermath- much of which I didn't know. It took the story on from the Clunn book- and was highly enjoyable.

The last 1/3 was an analysis of the role that Arminius played in later German literature, lieder, opera etc. . Personally, this did not interest me.

On balance- glad I bought it, but I'd probably wait for the paperback.

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I'm currently progressing and I must confess that I am getting mixed feelings. The chapter on Varus' career is great, but why does Murdoch call Flavius Josephus a rabbi? It may add some couleur locale, but 's simply wrong.

There are more details that are incorrect. For instance, it is interesting to compare the monument built by Drusus on the Elbe to the monument erected by Alexander on the point where he was forced to return - but that was not at the Jhelum river. On the contrary.

Still, it is a good book, and a delight to read after Wells' silly book, The Battle That Stopped Rome. I admire Murdoch that he is capable for finding something to praise about its rival. Personally, I would have said that it was written by an intellectual pygmee or that it was the best candidate for book burning in a decade, or something like that. Murdoch, a gentleman, says that it is strong on archaeology. Which is a kind way of saying that the other 90% are rubbish.

All in all, I would say that it is fair to spend 34 euro to buy Murdoch's book. It is not a perfect book, but at least Murdoch knows what he is talking about.

To be continued.
Jona Lendering
My website
Jona, I expended them. I hope you be in a mistake :lol: :lol: :wink: (but I expended "only" 30).

Caballo, in the last 1/3, does it talk about the name "Hermann" that the nacionalists gave to Arminius in 19th century?

Cheers.

Nino Parrilla.
"Caballo, in the last 1/3, does it talk about the name "Hermann" that the nacionalists gave to Arminius in 19th century? " Yes- quite a lot about this. Fascinating to a 19th century German historian, but not really my area.

The author writes well though- and also please disregard the cover (rarely done with any input from the author) which seems to be a horseback picture of the worst "Roman" outfit from Gladiator, worn by the most rotund actor.... :roll:

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Thank you, Caballo. They gave that name to Arminius because it was more "german". So many people belives that this is his name, really.

Cheers.

Nino Parrilla.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A book on the Varus Disaster... Magnus 4 1,719 06-09-2005, 06:24 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat