Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome HBO series
I only saw the FIRST episode of this series
what do u think of this movie? is it historically accurate?
what isnt historically accurate?
is that waht romans and rome could have looked like?
what did pre imperial soldiers wear?
did they wear chainmail like in the movie?

overall is this movie an exact on what roman life could have looked like/?
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=2582
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
thanx for the link, if i knew about that i wouldnt have posted this sorry, ur always a help Jasper

actually i have a question on another movie
the augustus movie with peter o toole
if uve seen this do u agree that the costumes and sets are a litttle unrealisic, and not accurate?
Hi Francis.
I'm not sure that specific movie has been discussed, but please put such questions in References & Reviews, where they go.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
the chain mail armour that vorunes and pullo wear is accurate?

are the conditions for roman life accurate?
the roman market

is there too much make up on the actors, or is it possible that a roman could have looked exactly as say lucius vorenus
Again, check this: http://www.romanhideout.com/images/roma ... efault.asp
Martin
While the show has plenty of historical errors, most of what gets said on that romanhideout link is pure nitpicking IMHO. Overall I´m VERY pleased with the end result and how while still much to be improved, it has taken big steps in the right direction.
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
ok the armor and set designs are accurate
i have already been to romanhidout

ok how about this question
makeup, lighting, camera techniques
were these used on the series ?
if they did, how is these camera echiniques for movie different from REAL life.
could a real roman look like say titus pullo, despite if he has any makeup?
and i have read the previous rome thread
doesnt really answer my questions
Well, I think we can state with some confidence that make-up was used. What do you mean by camera-techniques? Do you have an example?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
well, i dont know much about cameras, or filming
but i kno on epic movies they use some lighting and smoke and all sorts of stuff to make it feel more epic. hard to explain, but if you ever have seen a dvd where they take a landscape shot and show how they change it to seem more epic

what kind of makeup did they use?
why coudnt romans look like in that movie?

i have to thank you jasper for taking the time to repy to most of my threads i appreciate it
Quote:ok how about this question
makeup, lighting, camera techniques
were these used on the series ?
if they did, how is these camera echiniques for movie different from REAL life.
could a real roman look like say titus pullo, despite if he has any makeup?
The camera is very unforgiving, as are hot and sweaty studio lights, hence the need for makeup. The eyes can also need a little extra enhancement to make them read on camera. One particular use of makeup is to diminish the glossy look from sweat, etc, and (ironically) make the actor look more natural, as well as get rid of the usual things like spots. WIth lighting, even in exterior settings where the sun is out, lights or at least a reflector are needed to help fill in the shaded side of actors, otherwise they simply will seem too dark on film. Film and cameras are very different to the human eye and brain, the latter being able to adjust and modify on the fly what you see so it can be understood more.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
And believe it or not, a lot of actors have to wear lipstick to make their lips look natural on camera. Take a look when there’s a close up, a lot of times you can tell.

Now that you know about makeup, try not to notice it though, it takes away from the movie.
Steve
so basically the way the romans look in the movie is unrealistic, and not really what people look like?
Quote:so basically the way the romans look in the movie is unrealistic, and not really what people look like?
Not necessarily. The whole idea about makeup in film is that it ironically helps the actors look more natural. The lights in a studio are incredibly hot but necessary, one result being that people sweat too much, and the makeup hides that. Take any other film or TV series and bear in mind everyone on camera is also wearing makeup. Even newsreaders are wearing makeup when reading the news.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accuracy of HBO Series: Rome (would like opinions before buy Historylover 89 39,654 10-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Rome HBO series, last post look at these two pictures Woadwarrior 53 11,952 06-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis