Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perfect actors for roman movies?
Salve!

Last night I started to think about who would be the perfect actors playing the roles of famous romans.

Here are some of them:

- Caesar : Roy Scheider

- Julianus Apostate : this one is quite unlikely, don`t laugh! Think about Matthew Broderick with a beard! Perhaps Christian Slater or Christian Bale?

-Quintilianus Varus : James Gandolfini

-

-
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
julius caeser, ed harris
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Ed Harris played King Arthur once, and he was very good.

As Caesar...?

That could work.

Christian Bale...?

Now he would have made the perfect Anakin Skywalker. The hint of evil just below the surface -- you would believe he could become Darth Vader.

In which case he could play Gaius Caligula, but he is too charismatic. More like Marcus Antonius perhaps.

When I think of Caligula I will for ever see John Hurt, as I will Brian Blessed as Augustus and Derek Jacobi as Clau Clau Claudius.

In fact I liked that entire cast (Patrick Stewart with hair) it was first class all the way.

But that's me. I have been a big fan of that series, historical inaccuracies and all, since it was first broadcast.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I'd like to see Anthony Hopkins Roman-style, but I guess he's a bit too old to be an emperor. Maybe him as Sulla ?
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
Quote:'d like to see Anthony Hopkins Roman-style, but I guess he's a bit too old to be an emperor. Maybe him as Sulla ?
He'd make an excellent older Vespasian.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Anthony Hopkins did play a Roman, the title character in Titus.

Probably not quite what you hand in mind.

Interesting film. Not one of my favorites (nor is the play for that matter) but interesting none the less.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
What about Morgan Freeman as Septimius Severus?
[Image: Morgan_Freeman_small.jpg][Image: septimius_severus_rodina.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Morgan Freeman as Septimus...excellent actor. Excellent choice.

Big Grin

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:What about Morgan Freeman as Septimius Severus?
[Image: Morgan_Freeman_small.jpg][Image: septimius_severus_rodina.jpg]

Nice one Smile
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
Anthony Hopkins also played opposite Judi Dench in an absolutely brilliant Antony and Cleopatra at the National Theatre in the 80s. Sadly it was never recorded.
Now that would have been something to see. Big Grin

Indeed too bad it was not recorded.

I also enjoyed the 1934 film Cleopatra, which borrowed heavily from Shakespeare (both from Antony & Cleopatra and Julius Caesar), mostly for the performance of Warren William as Julius Caesar. He evoked the wisdom and wearriness of a man who had seen a lot of life and death and will not be easily fooled by a young girl, even one as smart and seductive as Cleopatra. Otherwise it is a DeMille film so there is nothing historical about it, other than the character's names.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  KIlling children in Roman era movies jkaler48 9 3,253 08-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  A Perfect Gift For Your Conspiracy Loving Friends Hugh Fuller 4 1,835 01-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Roman You Tube Movies arklore70 4 1,860 12-02-2007, 02:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70