Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The pilum. Let me re-phrase that. The PILUM!!
and yes, the Deepeeka pilum is SUPER heavy.... way too heavy to be historically accurate...but in Deepeeka's defense they created and very REUSABLE product!
Gallus Marinus Micarius
a.k.a. Peter Van Rossum
LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB
FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS
Sad
Quote:I imagine this type of arms race dictated its demise.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
I don't know, the wood arounf the tang on mine looks cracked, I daren't throw it in case the thing breaks open. And I wouldn't want a hernia ...

The standard pilum, though, seems right, throws right, stands about right. I'm happy with it. Just stripped off the woodstain (?!!?) and oiled the wood shaft instead.

I won't tell you the horrible things I'm doing to a Deepeeka shield at the moment!!!

Quote:and yes, the Deepeeka pilum is SUPER heavy.... way too heavy to be historically accurate...but in Deepeeka's defense they created and very REUSABLE product!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
funny you should mention a hernia...I just had sugury on mine last month! Maybe it was from throwing the Deepeeka pilum (just kidding). My Deepeeka pilum has gone to the graveyard long ago, but if memory serves me, the shaft was a bit wide, nothing horrendous tho....not sure if it was made from ash either...

Keep them damn Saxons off your shores Mithras!
Gallus Marinus Micarius
a.k.a. Peter Van Rossum
LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB
FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS
Quote:Keep them damn Saxons off your shores Mithras!

Big Grin Hey! My man! 8)

Ambrosius
"Feel the fire in your bones."
We have made some probes on pila, and we have pierced easily one 1 mm thick iron plate. I think pilum was not able to get a very lon range, but it's very efective at a 10 meter range.
Quote:we have pierced easily one 1 mm thick iron plate
What kind of plate? How was it treated? I'm just thinking of the upcoming JRMES article about new manufacturing evidence.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pilum buttspike Lanny Hill 3 1,618 05-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Robert
  Socketed pilum Pericles of Rhodes 3 1,443 01-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
Thumbs Up Mark Morrow Pilum Adriangunn 4 2,053 01-10-2017, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Creon01