Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News from Afghanistan
[size=75:1itbgzcg][Today, I received this sad article, with a request to post it where it might be read by interested people. You will probably have suspected what is written below.][/size]

Prominent Archaeologists and Looted Artifacts

(CHNI) There is no doubt that looting - or otherwise removing without permission - artifacts from archaeological sites around the world is commonplace, not to mention lucrative.

In Afghanistan, a country rich in archaeological treasures, the standard of living is so low that people jump at the chance to make a year’s income from the sale of a precious artifact. These impoverished people have a legitimate need for the money that the digging up and private selling of a historical find would bring.

Then there are the career looters, including prominent archaeologists - stealthy opportunists, motivated by profit to find and sell these ancient treasures en masse, for their own personal wealth. In Afghanistan, these illegal excavators have been stalking archaeological sites with museum-grade prospecting tools and high-tech communications equipment.

During the Soviet occupation of the country they even employed Soviet troops to guard their dig. Claims that the Soviets had carted off the Afghan national museum’s treasures to the Hermitage in Leningrad arose from the April 1979 removal of the museum’s collections to the center of Kabul for safekeeping. Then there were indications that Victor Sarianidi of the Soviet-Afghan archaeological mission, which had excavated a hoard of more than 20,000 gold ornaments from six burial mounds called Tillya-tepe, had taken the gold to the Soviet Union. Among other prominent archaeologist who was involved in the trade of Afghan and Iranian artifacts was the American C. C. Lamberg-Karlovsky.

Such archaeologist-looters backed by major European and U.S. collectors and financiers may have also been involved in recent looting of Iraqi museums and archaeological sites. In Afghanistan about 70 percent of the national museum’s collections are now missing.

Most of its vast gold and silver coin collection, which spanned the nation’s history from the Achaemenids in the sixth century B.C. through the Islamic period, has been looted. Also gone is a Greco-Bactrian hoard of more than 600 coins from Kunduz, in northern Afghanistan, dating to the third and second centuries B.C., including the largest Greek coins ever discovered. Pieces of Buddhist stucco sculptures and schist reliefs dating between the first and third centuries A.D. and Hindu marble statuary from the seventh and ninth centuries have been taken, as have carved ivories in classic Indian styles from Begram, site of the summer capital of the Kushan Empire in the early centuries A.D. Also missing are many of the museum’s prized examples of the renowned metalwork of the Ghaznavids, whose sumptuous capital flourished 90 miles southwest of Kabul during the tenth and eleventh centuries.

Once done, archaeologist-looters usually sell their findings to dealers and collectors in order to get the stolen artifacts out of the country as fast as possible, for the highest price. Many of the pieces are destined for sale in Islamabad, London, New York, and Tokyo.

For the locals, this may only be a few dollars; for career looters, thousands of dollars or more. Unfortunately, this has resulted in the loss of countless generations of historical insight into the civilizations of the world.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Such archaeologist-looters backed by major European and U.S. collectors and financiers may have also been involved in recent looting of Iraqi museums and archaeological sites. In Afghanistan about 70 percent of the national museum’s collections are now missing.

So when exactly is this supposed to have gone missing? I mean, did it survive the Soviet occupation, or the warlord period, or the Taliban?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I am saddened that it seems we have to face only selection of evils:
Antiquities-smugglers or thoughtless destroyers like the Taliban.

A note on coins too, I saw a photo a Grecobactrian made of nikel or so the person having it claimed. Nikel in Antiquity(!)

I think I understand Jona´s comment of "Unfortunately, this has resulted in the loss of countless generations of historical insight into the civilizations of the world." And I agree with him.

Kind regards
There are confirmed reports that the greatest treasures of the Kabul museum were in a safe in the Afghan National Bank since the Sovjet days. The Taliban tried to obtain access, the man who had the key went there with several men with guns, who threatened to kill him if he would not open the door. He tried to open the door, but in vain. The taliban saw that the key did not move and decided to leave.

Years later, when Kabul was liberated, the man with the key returned to the vault, put the key into the lock, turned it counterclockwise (instead of the other way round, which is usual), and simply opened the safe.

So the museum objects were still there recently and the looting has started during the last couple of years.

It is perhaps interesting to know that many cuneiform tablets have come to the market of antiquities in Warsaw. They are assumed to be from a clandestine excavation in Babylon itself.
Jona Lendering
My website
I have to correct something.

I received the message above, with the request to forward it to people who might be interested in the situation in Afghanistan. So I did. Now it turns out that the posting is partly fake. Some of the facts are correct, but the names of Victor Sarianidi and C.C. Lamberg-Karlovsky should not have been included.

As I now learn, part of the trade in forgeries involves defaming bona fide traders, saying that they sell looted goods. I ought to have realized this before.

Jona
Jona Lendering
My website
Greetings,
it still all boils down to the removal of historically priceless artifacts which are changing hands for money and which are not benefitting either the poor, the museums or the country.
I can sympaphise with a starving family in need of food or essentials who sell something they found in the ground....not a dealer simply on the make in hopes of a large profit.
Archaeology now seems to be big business and a way to get your hands on a quick bob or two...is to loot from a desperately poor country...
b*****ds.... :evil:
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Afghanistan / British Museum Jona Lendering 0 1,189 11-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering
  Iraq: When bad news is actually good news Jona Lendering 0 969 05-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering