Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inaccurate Old Glory 15mm legionaries
I've recently realised that the 15mm OG legionaries I own are slightly inaccurate. They're 1st century AD legionaries wearing (supposedly) Imperial Gallic helmets, but (1) their helmets have short stubby plumes; according to Connoly, legionaries had ceased to wear plumes in battle by that period, and (2) the Imperial Gallic helmets have reinforcing crossguards ala the Dacian campaign legionaries (which is another range of minis entirely).<br>
<br>
Ironically, I didn't discover all these boo-hoos till after I'd painted a batch of 8 figures. So now I'm in the process of sawing off the horrible plumes and filing down the crossguards on the helmets to get a smooth bowl as it should be. The results so far are... passable. I've toyed with the idea of using modelling putty to smooth over the helmets instead of filing, if only to achieve a smoother look without grinding off half the legionary's head.<br>
<br>
I guess this sad tale has something in common with the experiences of all those poor souls who have had to swap gladius scabbards from left to right. Something that, thank god, I don't need to do. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uauxilia.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Auxilia</A> at: 9/16/02 1:30:39 am<br></i>
How long are their belts? Perhaps you could use them as early 2nd century troops? (and make mini-manicae for them!) <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Are you referring to their apron guards? They reach the hem of the tunic, so that's fairly long which means that they won't pass for mid Empire legionaries since IIRC the apron got shorter over time.<br>
<br>
It's no real trouble now. I'm starting to get the hang of filing off the crossbraces smoothly and getting the desired finish. Having recently purchased a pair of sidecutters helps alot in clipping off the plumes. Using a saw it was hard to not cut off a chunk of the helmets.<br>
<br>
PS: Forgive my ignorance, but what's a <i> manicae</i>? <p></p><i></i>
Manicae are articualted arm guards, designed to beef up the legionaries to deal with falx wielding Dacians IIRC <p><BR><a href="http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic" target="Rules For Posting"></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Aah, yes, I know about those. Thanks Catiline. The Dacian campaign legionary figures come with the whole panoply; crossbraced helmets, manicae and greaves. So there's no need for me to convert my current legionaries. <p></p><i></i>
Heh, you have to switch half of the gladius scabbards on the Italeri Republican era Romans...but thats plastic a larger scale...not nearly the head ache!<br>
<br>
While the crests probably weren't worn in battle, they were worn on spcial occasions...maybe they could be partying in armor? <p></p><i></i>
Party like it's AD99 <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
*lol* Yes, considering their similar poses they might be performing the 'bus-stop' or 'macarena'. Still, dancing fully armed? They must be anticipating Germanic gatecrashers... <p></p><i></i>
Hey, I could groove in plate mail to the wild tunes of a corniceron and a water organ! <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FOG 15mm Mid Republican Legions Brian Shafer 1 2,129 03-06-2017, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Bryan
  15mm figs? Anonymous 12 4,796 09-13-2001, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Anonymous