Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome\'s gate to India
Roman amphora pieces abound in Pattanam

Archaeologists working on India's south-west coast believe they may have solved the mystery of the location of a major port which was key to trade between India and the Roman Empire - Muziris, in the modern-day state of Kerala.

For many years, people have been in search of the almost mythical port, known as Vanchi to locals.

Much-recorded in Roman times, Muziris was a major centre for trade between Rome and southern India - but appeared to have simply disappeared.

Now, however, an investigation by two archaeologists - KP Shajan and V Selvakumar - has placed the ancient port as having existed where the small town of Pattanam now stands, on India's south-west Malabar coast.

"It is the first time these remains have been found on this coast," Dr Sharjan told BBC World Service's Discovery programme.

"We believe it could be Muziris."

Key evidence

Pattanam is the only site in the region to produce architectural features and material contemporary to the period.

"No other site in India has yielded this much archaeological evidence," said Dr Roberto Tomba, of the British Museum.

"We knew it was very important, and we knew if we could find it, there should be Roman and other Western artefacts there - but we hadn't been able to locate it on the ground."

Until recently, the best guesses for the location of Muziris centred on the mouth of the Periyar river, at a place called Kodungallor - but now the evidence suggests a smaller town nearby, Pattanam, is the real location.

Drs Shajan and Selvakumar now meet locals on a regular basis as they continue their work, with some older people in particular remembering picking up glass beads and pottery after heavy rains.

Undoubtedly, they told Discovery, the many pieces of amphora are from the Mediterranean - a key to establishing Pattanam as the place where Muziris once stood.

"These amphora are so common," Dr Shajan said.

"We have hundreds of shards of Mediterranean pottery."

Mystery disappearance

Muziris became important because of the Romans' interest in trading, and their desire to have contact with regions beyond the reach of conquest and set up trading routes with these places.

"India had a long fascination for the Romans, going back to Alexander the Great," Dr Tomba said.

Glass and stones discovered in Pattanam
Glass and precious stones are key finds in the site area
"Alexander was a huge model for succeeding Roman emperors, and the fact that he had been in India and brought back tales of the fantastic things, the people and products there, heightened the Roman desire to continue that association."

What is known, from a 1st Century document, is that the harbour was "exceptionally important for trade."

Clues to its location are provided in ancient Indian texts. Professor Rajan Gerta, from Mahatma Gandhi University in Kerala, said that there are many references to "ships coming with gold, and going back with 'black gold'" - pepper.

"These ships went back with a whole lot of pepper and various aromatic spices, collected from the forests," he added.

Merchants from a number of different cultures are believed to have operated in the port, and there are numerous Indian finds from the time as well as Roman ones.

In 1983, a large hoard of Roman coins was found at a site around six miles from Pattanam.

However, even if Muziris has been found, one mystery remains - how it disappeared so completely in the first place.

Dr Tomba said that it has always been presumed that the flow of the trade between Rome and India lasted between the 1st Century BC through to the end of the 1st Century AD, but that there is growing evidence that this trade continued much longer, into the 6th and early 7th Century - although not necessarily continually.

"We're not quite clear how long it went on in Muziris, and the more evidence we can gather from the artefacts, the clearer the picture that will build up," she added.

"What is interesting is that in the 6th Century, a Greek writer, writing about the Indian Ocean, wrote that the Malabar coast was still a thriving centre for the export of pepper - but he doesn't mention Muziris."

([url:3fzn5xk0]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4970452.stm[/url])
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I was about to make an entry about this discovery too. Just read about it this morning. Fascinating.
Ciao

Jeff
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Actually, this is what I like best: how Greece and Rome existed within a wider context. The Roman interaction with Germanic tribes, Babylonian influence on Greek science, Alexander in the far East: I like it more than classical Greece and Rome. Perhaps because people have so often said to me that Greece and Rome were the foundations of civilization, that I naturally had to look in a different direction.
Jona Lendering
My website
Traditionally Greece and Rome were seen as the sole foundations of civilization. A gross simplification. But then the pendulum swung (swing, swang, swung) too far the other way and everyone started saying things happened elsewhere too, actually more and even better!

I personally feel that the wisest conclusion is that many indirect influences are very likely, some have been indeed reconstructed and more are surely to be traced, all with very long and complicated stories (histories). But, in spite of this, I indeed am the direct and proud product of Greece and Rome (and of our medieval trials and errors with its contaminations, imports and re-interpretations, our glorious Renaissance, our reformation and counter-reformation etc etc.)

Jeff
Jeffery Wyss
I do not know whether the pendulum has swung too far. What I do know is that in the British Museum alone, about 100 000 (!) cuneiform tablets are still waiting for publication. A similar story can be told about ancient Egypt.

There is no money for publication of non-classic sources. Why? Because the politicians who divide the money think it is unimportant. Why? Because they always read about the Greek "firsts". Why? Because the Babylonian "firsts" remain unpublished. Why? Because there is no money for it. Etc.

The problem will soon be solved, however. Soldiers now staying in Iraq have already destroyed the remains of ancient Babylon (it is no longer on UNESCO list of World Heritage) and the evidence that might lead to a revision of our western foundation myth is now destroyed.

I have once read a notice by a Christian preacher who said he was happy because those Babylonian texts could only give people the impression that the Bible was not unique. It makes me feel ashamed to be a believer.

We can not blame the soldiers; even their commanders and the politicians believe that Greece and Rome meant civilization and ancient Babylon was backward. Look at Oliver Stone's Alexander movie and see what an Oxford scholar like Robin Lane Fox believes about Babylon ([url:xv85wumu]http://www.livius.org/opinion/opinion0001.html[/url]), in spite of a tidal wave of publications during the past thirty years.

Do not take this personal, dear Goffredo. Yes, I am angry, but not with you. It is the dumb stupidity of a Lane Fox and Christian teachers, who willingly sacrifice knowledge to maintain prejudice.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:The problem will soon be solved, however. Soldiers now staying in Iraq have already destroyed the remains of ancient Babylon (it is no longer on UNESCO list of World Heritage) and the evidence that might lead to a revision of our western foundation myth is now destroyed.

Is it that bad?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Of course I agree with you. But humans are like that and only until recently have ALL peoples and eras easily and without hesitation white-washed and demolished their past when a new regime or civilization took over the older one. White-washing is fortunately rarely complete and influences continue way after the memories have faded. Outdated and forbidden traditions hide, camouflage, and manage to survive. I live in Italy and it strikes me deep every time I notice how pre-roman and pre-christian traditions continue to exist to this day.

The pendulum has swung far but it is time it stop and start swinging towards middle ground. Westerners are not the only culprits! Actually it is my deeply rooted impression that the very notion of History and the consequent slow growth of sensitivity towards old and ancient civilizations and idiosyncrasies of existing minorities is a Western contribution to human culture. But it is certainly not an irreversible one! The mother of imbeciles and jerks is always pregnant and every generation has to decide what to stand and fight for. Rest assured that when push turns to shove and punches I will be on the same side of the barricade as you are.
Jeffery Wyss
I had posted this news at another forum and someone asked what would have been the shipping route from the mediterranian to India. Because the Suez channel didn't exist back than, they either must have shipped around Africa or crossed land at some point.

Does anyone here know more about it?
They did know about the Monsoon, shipping was from (a.o.) several harbours on the west coast of the Red Sea. There are references to connections from that coast to the upper Egyptian Nile from where goods could be shipped to and from the Med.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:I had posted this news at another forum and someone asked what would have been the shipping route from the mediterranian to India. [...] Does anyone here know more about it?
[url:34xw0myw]http://www.archbase.com/berenike/english1.html[/url] is the website of Berenike, one of the main ports. I know someone who has worked over there.
Jona Lendering
My website