Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brace yourselves... LAST LEGION (late Roman film)
with all the money and effort they spend on high budget fantasy movies like lord of the rings and such, you would think they could make a 100% accurate movie about rome.these fictional stories about rome are far less entertaining than a portrail of the real history would be. why make a series of 3 or 4 hour movies about caesar for example,showig his entire life,not excluding any details from all he sources,including all the brutal warfare,all the sex,all the drama,all the politcs evervything as realistic as possible with no expense spared, a triad of extra long movies could do it
Salvatore Petruso/TITVS PVLLO
Don't forget that the movie LOTR is not the same as the books. Also, trying to convince producers to stump up the cash for an epic biopic of Caesar is far more difficult than getting the finance for Final Destination 4, which has a guaranteed audience. In an industry where 90+% of releases don't even make their money back it's not that simple. For all of the complaints about quality and accuracy it's all easy to say; we're not the ones taking money from our bank accounts, or taking out huge loans to get them made.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
its definatly possible though and it would definatly have a very large following,mostly because if done the way i vision it it would simply be a very good movie or movies. when was the last time an actual good movie came out?
Salvatore Petruso/TITVS PVLLO
Sounds like the way i think when I read a good book Titus! :lol:

regards
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
just a small comment.... the photo of the cat in my book is animal cruelty and not funny at all.

M.VIB.M. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS Jenny i didnt know she was a girl hehehehe

and a quote of my favourite Roman film of all times......

Open your eyes.... Proculus.......
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:just a small comment.... the photo of the cat in my book is animal cruelty and not funny at all..

Duh. It can be done with Pshop easily.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
thats not the point hahahaha

i see a lot of people here walking their dogs fully clothed.........

not that Jen would ever do such a thing!!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:[Image: ar5.jpg]

With a girl that looks like this Confusedhock: who cares if its historical or not!

Agreed! Now what is a Bollywood bombshell doing in a Roman based movie that will probably fail?...
There are five types of fraktards in online games:
1.)Kirazas
2.)n00bs
3.)Faggots
4.)Team Killers
5.)Bleeders

And I have met and fraked them all!

Outlawstar15a2
Joseph Jeffries
Quote:
Primvs Pavlvs:gvvy90ju Wrote:[Image: ar5.jpg]
With a girl that looks like this Confusedhock: who cares if its historical or not!
Agreed! Now what is a Bollywood bombshell doing in a Roman based movie that will probably fail?...
Collecting a huge bundle of money to show her pretty face in the hope that some dudes who don't give a toss about Late Roman times or who just don't care about books still come and watch her so that the movie won't be a total flop that would have been better off as a tv production anyway (takes a gulp of breath)?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Well said Robert! Smile
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

I just saw this movie.
Really bad plot, and the equipment was too bad to describe Cry

*Spoilers, select the white text below to read*

I did, however, learn a lot of things about the late Roman empire Big Grin
- Late Roman armour was made nearly exclusively from un-hardened leather, with the occasional officer wearing a leather musculata.
- Merlin was Romulus Augustus' teacher Confusedhock:
- Romulus Augustus was the father of king Arthur Confusedhock:

I think the only thing I noticed in the whole movie that was historically correct is that Romulus Augustus, the last Western Roman emperor, was deposed by Odoacer. Oh, and they got his father's name right too (Flavius Orestes).
Everything else...

The movie is set in 460AD.
In that year, Africa was still under Roman control, Romulus Augustus became emperor, and the Goths sacked Rome, according to the movie of course. :roll:
The emperor is constantly adressed as caesar, instead of augustus.
It's mentioned that Tiberius was the last emperor of Julius Caesar's bloodline...

Then they get to Britannia...
First thing that catched my eye was a medieval castle...
During the last battle, the Ninth Legion, equipped as a late 1st century legion with auxilliary archers, appeared.
Besides the lack of pila, and the fact that the legion consisted of 3 cohorts at most, it looked rather good when you still could only see them from the distance. When they were attacked by archers they even formed a really spectacular looking testudo (and I really mean that Smile ) For a while I got my hopes up.
Then, when they came closer, I saw it...
Leather segmentata and helmets Confusedhock: hundreds of them Confusedhock:
The usual chaotic Hollywood battle followed.

After the battle, it is made clear that Excalibur was Julius Caesar's sword, that Merlin was Romulus Augustus' teacher, and that Romulus Augustus was the father of king Arthur.
The End.

Cry
[size=75:18gu2k6n]- Roy Aarts[/size]
"It's mentioned that Tiberius was the last emperor of Julius Caesar's bloodline... "

Confusedhock: :? x shock:

Where does one begin...?

Thanks for the update Roy, and good idea for hiding the spoilers just in case anyone cares, though I'm not sure why anyone would for this film.

As we have said here in the Forum before, even a bad film about Rome is better than no film about Rome.

However...

It seems that this film breaks that rule.

Oh well.

As Ed Wood reportedly said, "...worst film you ever saw eh...Well my next one will be better!"

Hope springs eternal that some day Hollywood will get it right. Cry

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
:lol: :lol: :lol:
regards brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote: The movie is set in 460AD.
In that year, Africa was still under Roman control, Romulus Augustus became emperor, and the Goths sacked Rome, according to the movie of course. :roll:
Not that I in any want to defend this (..) of a movie (although it may generate some interest in Late Roman times, like Gladiator did for its subject)..

They may have intended to melt together the Vandal sack of the City in 455 and Ricimer taking the City in 472, after a 3-month siege.

Quote:During the last battle, the Ninth Legion, equipped as a late 1st century legion with auxilliary archers, appeared.
Besides the lack of pila, and the fact that the legion consisted of 3 cohorts at most, it looked rather good when you still could only see them from the distance.
But OF COURSE! The Ninth disapparated from 2nd-c. Scotland and re-appeared in a vault of Gringott's, York (Eboracum branch), having spent all their pila against the Caledonians (and only with 3 intact cohorts left).
[size=75:uwd0jrtu]Sorry, I just finished reading Harry Potter, part 7.[/size] 8)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Historical inaccuracy or not I think the movie looks awful.
Michael Paglia