Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brace yourselves... LAST LEGION (late Roman film)
Denzel did a pretty good job as the general in Empire (the TV show). Boy, talk about some mixed up history and costuming! But his performance was good, and he'd make a great Hannibal.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
After seeing The Last Legion I thought it couldn't get any worse, but I was wrong.
Amazons and Gladiators was on tv here last night, so I taped it. Big mistake Cry

The story is set around 70AD.
Julius Caesar and Marcus Licinius Crassus somehow managed to be still alive by that time.
Much worse than that however, is their description of Crassius: 'a veteran of the Punic wars, who had captured Spartacus'. That would mean he'd be more than 200 years old (assuming they meant the 3rd Punic war...)
Crassius gained too much influence in Rome, so Julius Caesar banishes him from the city by appointing him as governor of the province of 'Pannae'. :roll:

The costumes were awful too (though a lot better than those in The Last Legion). More than half of the Roman legionaries fought without shields.
The fighting scenes looked like it was the first time they ever held a sword...

The narrative at the end of the movie: 'Due to repeated invasions from the Amazons, Vandals, Visigoths and Huns, the Roman Empire soon fell'.
Hm, more than 400 years later, that's soon indeed.
[size=75:18gu2k6n]- Roy Aarts[/size]
Quote:After seeing The Last Legion I thought it couldn't get any worse, but I was wrong.
Amazons and Gladiators was on tv here last night, so I taped it. Big mistake Cry

The story is set around 70AD.
Julius Caesar and Marcus Licinius Crassus somehow managed to be still alive by that time.
Much worse than that however, is their description of Crassius: 'a veteran of the Punic wars, who had captured Spartacus'. That would mean he'd be more than 200 years old (assuming they meant the 3rd Punic war...)
Crassus gained too much influence in Rome, so Julius Caesar banishes him from the city by appointing him as governor of the province of 'Pannae'. :roll:

The costumes were awful too (though a lot better than those in The Last Legion). More than half of the Roman legionaries fought without shields.
The fighting scenes looked like it was the first time they ever held a sword...

The narrative at the end of the movie: 'Due to repeated invasions from the Amazons, Vandals, Visigoths and Huns, the Roman Empire soon fell'.
Hm, more than 400 years later, that's soon indeed.

I love that movie!!! It's great because it's so terrible. It is one of the greatest bad Roman movies ever :lol:

LOL General Crassius is wearing a copy of the helmet Maximus wore in the arena. But they added some spikes to it too make it different. :lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I have some clips from Amazons and Gladiators. Worst archers in the world. They can barely hit the ground. But hey, the girls are cute in their 15th century boots, so --?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
DARTHICUS:5nb6zluh Wrote:Hollywood should make a movie about Hannibal and Scipio, you have all the elements of a great drama and action flick.

Revenge, 2 great leaders poised against each other, betrayal by politicol masters and 1 kick ass, bloody climatic battle at the end.

From Cannae to Zama would be a good spread, with a few flashbacks of their youths and education thrown in.

They coould do it and be accurate and still make bagloads of cash.

I guess I need to write a script, get a gun and go visit Jerry Bruckhiemer, and get it done.=)

Dylan Thomas aka Darthicus

Are you joking? :lol:

Two Hannibal hollywood films are currently under developement. One starring Vin Diesel as Hannibal, the other with Denzel Washington as Hannibal. Both are also directing their movie I believe.

I did not know that, I hope that they do not muck it up, I hope there is a major role for Scipio.

I am so tired of Generals in History being celebrated and those that crushed them being overlooked. (Napoleon and Wellington, Rommel and Montgomery and Patton.)

I have more faith in Washington's sense of art than Deisal's, but you never know.
Uh, what was anyone expecting from a movie with a name like "Amazons and Gladiators?"
Pecunia non olet
Well, cute girls and sword fights. Certainly not historical accuracy. They delivered on both counts.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I went to see "the last legion" on friday and just wanted to tear my eyes out in dispair.
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
Glad you didn't! It's easier to type when you can still see! :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I saw it this evening:

[Image: vomit.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:I saw it this evening:

WHY????? Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Just curious... Had nothing else to do... still single.. U know... :wink:
Ivan Perelló
Nice pic though Faventianvs :lol: :lol:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:Nice pic though Faventianvs :lol: :lol:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
That's me at the theater hall!
Ivan Perelló
I cannot wait to see it myself Big Grin
Regards brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)