Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Cursus Honorum" of Gladiators?
MM. Teyssier and Lopez came up with another hypothesis which I seemed to me kinda awkward as well so I present this to you also:

According to the iconography they examined and to their experiments in fighting with reconstructed gladiator armor they came to the conclusion that gladiatorial combats were not like a form of ancient fencing but more a form of wrestling and boxing with arms.

* The basic position resembles that of a boxer, with the shield being in line with the gladiator and the outside of his fighting range

* The right arm (sword arm) drawn back like the one of a karateka for rapid forward thrust and back to its basic position

* The decision of combat by either fighting in close combat or to exhaust the opponent by injuries

The tactic was to exhaust or to injure the opponent, but taking the most of precaution of one's own life. For ending a combat they used repeatedly precise attacks by the dagger which was of course only possible in short range.

The best distance was to "touch" but not to get touched yourself. At the beginning it was important to check on the opponent how he reacts etc. by attacks with the shield without coming to a decision of combat yet.

The finalization of combat could be a close combat fight in a clinch as shown e.g. on the knife handle shown now in Avenches, Switzerland where a secutor and a retiarius are in clinch.

The group the both authors belong to have also a website only in French unfortunately. But you could see some pictures of their reconstruction (which didn't convince me either) there:

www.acta-archeo.com

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Cursus Honorum" of Gladiators? - by Conal - 06-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Re: "Cursus Honorum" of Gladiators? - by Gashford - 06-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Re: "Cursus Honorum" of Gladiators? - by Conal - 06-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Hypothesis: Wrestling and Boxis in Arms - by Medusa Gladiatrix - 06-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Re: "Cursus Honorum" of Gladiators? - by Olaf - 07-05-2007, 05:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From today\'s Times "Gladiators return to Colosseum&quot Caballo 0 1,389 12-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Caballo