Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POMPEI POMPEI POMPEI
what an amazing place i could spend a week there

rome doesnt have as much as impressive ruins as the pompei does

was rome as big as pompei and have such big streets lined with bulidings and all the stuff pompei had

question mark question mark
Pompeii had some 30,000 inhabitants and Rome about a million. Rome had large buildings, several storeys high; Pompeii was more rural.
Quote:have such big streets lined with bulidings and all the stuff pompei had
I think Rome did have some streets like Pompeii (well-paved, straight, etc.) but the buildings were taller (just like in modern Rome).

Enjoy your stay!!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
i dont see the historic in this.......

maybe a move would be in order?

PS pompeii is lovely and has lovely buildings, but thats because of the vesuvius... Rome never was buried under volcanic pommace and pyroclastic flows........ otherwise we'd have a lot more to see!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
so rome was alot like pompei but a lot bigger and with more impressive buildings right?

kind of a silly question but i de like to here what u would say, cause some of it is obvious

what would be different about walking through pompei now, and walking through it in the time it was flourishing? (60 AD ish)
Quote:what would be different about walking through pompei now, and walking through it in the time it was flourishing? (60 AD ish)

Erm??? Big Grin shock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
um no flourishing as in when the city was still alive and functioning, meaning before the eruption

did i get the date wrong?
No your date was fine, the eruption wasn't until 79 AD. Pompeii was just like any city in the ancient world. You would see people doing their daily activities like buying food, making clothes, fixing equipment. You would hear the roar of the crowd in the arena after a gladiator killed is oppenent.
The reason why Pompeii is so well known and studied was becuase of the eruption of the volcano. It stoped and preseved the city at that time. We could see what pottery they used, art they had painted on the walls of their homes, and even the people that lived there.
There is going to be an exhibit in Mobile, Alabama USA in January 07 that will have many artifacts from the site: pottery, body casts, jewerly, etc.. If you are interested contact Rusty Meyers at legvi.com or he has a yahoo chat group named pompeii reborn.
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
thanx alot

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silver treasure in Pompei LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 0 828 07-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS