Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my first gaming/figure post
Hi Guys, I will try to answer your questions in their order of appearace.<br>
<br>
Auxilia,<br>
My gaming scale is 1:4 as this is the smallest you can go and still have a century look relatively "visual correct". This is very common in films. You will see that the centuries in films like Spartacus and Masada have these reduced size centuries but they look "right". The rules have been developed by Steve Greeley, also Optio of LEG XIIII. They are the most realistic there is but not marketed yet. The system incudes a map system/playing board covering the entire Roman empire and adjacent lands. It is really quite remarkable. The combat rules are much akin to fantasy role playing in tht each figure represents a real soldier, rather than merely a symbol for block of troops represented by the stand.<br>
<br>
I will try find my pictures to post of the Legion exhibit. Oh, I made a complete cohort of Esci troops marching with their impedimenta packs. I used the walking legionary, cut of his head and welded on the head of the helmetless "tribune", bent his arm, added the pack, shield cover, etc. Such a marching column looks very impresssive. Each of the 50 scorpions per legion have a cart as well.<br>
<br>
The basic troops have a relatively basic paint job. Because they are in dense formations, shoulder to shoulder (unless light troops), you could not see fine details anyway. Figures like commanders, cavalry, etc that are not in dense formations are painted better.<br>
In some cases I have given the prior centuries of the maniple standards with the manus and the posterior ones the spearpoint.<br>
<br>
As Caius said 1/72 is often referred to as 20mm, but the average 1/72 figure today is usually a true 25mm. Measure one and you'll see. Metal figures have the illusion of being begger because of the usual oversized heads, dwarf legs etc. This is the result of most metal figures being hand scuplted whereas plastic figures from much larger masters that are reduced by pentagraph when the metal molds are cut.<br>
<br>
Busboy, no I am not a Colonel, far from it. I joined the Army right out of high school, thinking I would stay in one tour, get out and use the GI Bill to go to college and study achaeology or another history related field. From my first assignment on though, I was directed to work in unit museums. After 9 years and the rank of Staff Sergeant I was offered a DOD civilian job so I could more permanently stay at the museum. My civilian grade now is roughly equivalent to a Major. I didn't realize this until Desert Storm and they issued me a Geneva Convention card that said this. This isn't for 'rank" purposes, but for how you are to be treated if a prisoner of war. Ironically , I nearly got a chance to use this card, when I walked into a bunker looking for artifacts in what we though was a deserted Iraqi base, and practically ran into about 20 Iraqi soldiers hiding in it. Fortunately, they wanted to surrender, and I think Imay have been the only civilian in Desert Storm to capture enemy troops. It was practically the same as still being in the Army though, wore the sme uniform and carried a weapon like everybody else. I had many other adventures there, including a near fatal helicopter collision, but all in all, it was probably the most memorable time of my life... ready to do it again!<br>
<br>
I agree that Hat figures are not the quality of Esci, Zevda, or Italeri, but the whole operation is quite remarkable when you consider this is essentially the "hobby buisness" of a fellow figure collector As such, he has to go with cheaper sculptors.<br>
<br>
I have a little of everything in 1/72, but my major interests next to Roman are Civil War, Hundred Years War (love the new Italerilis), 30 Years War, bronze age Egyptian/middle east (Atlantic and conversions), Greek and Persian Wars. With all of my other hobies though, the isnot enough time to paint them all so very interested in the Chinese thing.<br>
<br>
I think that covered about everything.... all the best, Dan <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Re: my first gaming/figure post - by Anonymous - 10-25-2002, 08:03 PM
The legions at Rosenheim - by Daniel S Peterson - 10-26-2002, 05:50 PM
Impressive - by Anonymous - 10-27-2002, 11:39 PM
Re: Impressive - by Caius Fabius - 10-28-2002, 12:27 AM
Re: - by Anonymous - 10-28-2002, 12:37 AM
first figure post - by Daniel S Peterson - 10-31-2002, 01:29 AM
Re: first figure post - by Anonymous - 11-12-2002, 04:31 AM
Re: CW Artillery, franks and Vikings, skeleton Romans - by Anonymous - 11-13-2002, 07:15 AM
esci Romans - by Daniel S Peterson - 11-15-2002, 09:58 PM
Re: esci Romans - by Anonymous - 11-19-2002, 08:12 PM