Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It\'s too hot here in the UK!!
Looks like we're about to have our hottest July day for the first time since 1911, 36 degrees, boosted by hot winds coming from France.
Quote:Emergency measures have been brought in to protect the roads of at least five counties as gritters began spreading rock dust to protect the surfaces.... British temperatures this week have outstripped popular holiday destinations including Athens, Bermuda, Rio de Janeiro and Rome.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
And I'm doing a school visit in Stroud, full kit, wool and lorica hamata. The story line is that I've marched down from Hadrian's Wall- with this heat and sweat, oy shouldn't be hard to have an authentic sweat!

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Ugh. I wouldn't wanna be wearing your subligaculum after that :o
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Do you usually want to wear someone else's subligaculum when it's just been worn?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Don't you?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Uhmmm :oops:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Trust me guys, it ain't going nowhere.....

(Gad...the heat....the flies...the revolting Britunculi......)

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:(Gad...the heat....the flies...the revolting Britunculi......)

Add to that the smell of hot metal and oiled leather, the stench of the animals and the soldiers! What a life!

You could probably smell the Roman army from many miles before it appeared on the horizon!
Quote:The Nijmegen Marches (biggest walking event in the world @ 45,000 marchers) has been canceled for the first time in 90 years! Yesterday 300 people had to be treated for heat-related problems, 30+ to the hospital and 2 died! With even higher temperatures expected today, it's fair enough the called it quits, but boy, are there going to be some disappointed people...

Disappointed indeed! Sad

I did the March with my father back in 1979. What an amazing event.

When we marched into town on the final day there were bands playing and a British General taking the salute as troops and civilians passed by. Quite a sight.

However...

We were told that the only time the Marches had ever been canceled was during WWII. This would be the first cancellation due to something other than a war.

Or am I mistaken...? :?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
No, I believe you're right. But with conditions expected to be worse today and tomorrow, it's prolly the right decision. Don't want more people to die!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Indeed not.

It was tough when I did it, and I was in great shape.

I was impressed by the old man in his 70's who did the entire March in wooden shoes!

As I remember it was warm and humid that summer, but no one died from the heat.

A great event, but not at the cost of someone's life.

Is this yet another wake-up call (as if we need more) that the global environment is changing?

Stay cool my friends. 8)

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I love the smell of warrior sweat in the morning.

Okay - Xena said that, not me. :oops:

They are really getting intense our weather warning at the end of the week. It's actually starting to freak me out. We have some elderly folks here where I live and I though I've never really met them, I think I will check up on them on Friday and Saturday for good measure.

Tasia
++++++++++++++
Quinta Livia Anastasia
aka stace kelsey
what about the temperatures in Roman times? any research done into that yet?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Well Here in Aberdeen, while the rest of the country is experiencing record temperatures, and sunshine, it is foggy, wet and cool! Not how I like my summers, but this one you would think would be different!!!

B. Angel
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel