Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The lost \'A\' men
I just thought about the strange coincidence that both 'my' Alexander The Great and King Arthur's last resting places are unknown.
Both great war leaders whose names begin with A, whose stories, legends and deeds are known the world over!
Yes, I know that Alexander was a definite historical figure and Arthur was
more than likely an amalgamation of more than one warrior, possibly not
even named Arthur ..... but according to the Welsh poem The Stanzas of the Graves (Englynion y Beddau)
The grave of March, the grave of Gwythur;
The grave of Gwgawn Gleddyvrudd
A mystery to the world, the grave of Arthur
Llyfr Du Caerfyrddin -Text 19 a 13th century manuscript seemingly copied from a much earlier origin, at least one known as Arthur was contemporary with other warriors from the 6th/7th centuries.
Arthur and his knights, Alexander and his companion cavalry...riding through the pages of our minds, a blending of the romantic and the hardened warrior...their names imprinted on our hearts and souls.
The two most famous warrior kings this world has ever known
...and neither of them can be found....
Maybe they planned it that way....
:wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Arthur and his knights, Alexander and his companion cavalry...riding through the pages of our minds, a blending of the romantic and the hardened warrior...their names imprinted on our hearts and souls.

[Image: gallop.gif]
[Image: thinking.gif] I had never realized that! Big Grin

BTW: seriously I didnt take you all for a joke!... You had opened my eyes a bit more with this post! Smile

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote: The two most famous warrior kings this world has ever known
...and neither of them can be found....
Maybe they planned it that way....

Its Possible; some other kings did the same, like Mongols etc.

You should have two imaginary carving statues at the entrance of you home, like Lord of the Rings... or perhaps two paintings of them in one of your choosen place! :wink:

We think too much in our heroes! Smile

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:I just thought about the strange coincidence that both 'my' Alexander The Great and King Arthur's last resting places are unknown.
Both great war leaders whose names begin with A, whose stories, legends and deeds are known the world over!

You can add Alaric and Attila to that list. Both were supposedly buried in the beds of rivers to prevent their graves from ever being discovered or plundered. Trying to find these lost royal graves is a pastime for treaure hunters and amateur archaeologists in Italy and Hungary. So far, no luck.
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Quote:You can add Alaric and Attila to that list.
How about Asterix? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I would like to have all those swords :|

BTW:

Since this new this tuff that Jasper had made on the forum, I cant sometimes url my links etc or even correct something that I wrote Sad

Hi Comerus,
Using IE 6, I assume? Do you type your answers in normal Post Reply or in Quickreply?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
In both; quick & post reply, let say when I want to copy a post by clicking the mouse, its supouse to get blue for next to click copy, but a symbol like this [Image: no-symbol.gif] appears instead...Even when I dont want to use quick or post replay & I just try it to anything its written on Rat it happens the same. But when I go out of RAT everithing its normal.

I see that even when I meant to post one time only it put it twice, some times.

Hi Gioi!
I managed to reproduce the error as well. Joy! Cry
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
OK you will find the solution later, take your time, I know you are a Genius! Smile

Thanks & greets

Satsobek/Christy is the genius in this case. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
It's possible to get OT in the OT section.... :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Are you asking for a laudes subtraction? :twisted:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
You so Modest Jasper! :lol:
Well if you learn from a Genius you become one! :wink:
The song say somthing like that :?

Sorry Robert :oops:

This song is dedicated for you Both to stop fighting! :wink:

Well in the sentence of friendship & peace! ...skip the loving part :oops:

http://www.durbster.co.uk/media/flash/park.swf

Quote:The Lost 'A' Men
Amen Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans