Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet die picture?
Helmet dies have been mentioned often lately, and I wondered if anyone has a picture of one?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
speaking of that sort of stuff i'm curious what the latthe setup for spinning a helmet bowl looks like, and how on earth is that pretty ropeing around the edges of Montefortino helmets done?
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
IIRC, there is a limestone blank for hammering out a Boeotian helmet (so Macedonian/ Greek rather than Roman) in the Allard Pierson Museum in Amsterdam. I think it was reproduced in an Osprey on Alexander the Great- does some one have a copy?

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:speaking of that sort of stuff i'm curious what the latthe setup for spinning a helmet bowl looks like, and how on earth is that pretty ropeing around the edges of Montefortino helmets done?

There's evidence (i.e. visible fingerprints) that the roping, at least in early examples, was cast from a wax model. My source is a friend of mine who works at the Penn Museum is finishing a book at the moment, and has studied the Montefortino in the museum, along with comparanda -- once the book's out, or I'm back in Philly in September, I can give you more information.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
so then was the ropeing cast then brazed on, or was the ropeing cast into some sort of helmet blank?
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Quote:speaking of that sort of stuff i'm curious what the latthe setup for spinning a helmet bowl looks like,

Probably something like the one pictured half way down this thread...
http://www.muntenbodemvondsten.nl/index ... ic=3035.20

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Detailed picture of the Berkasovo helmet Virilis 7 3,682 02-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Virilis